Lawler is a lot like Penn

tuff juice

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
I think it really hit me when Lawler did the leg-push-off escape from bottom ... it was just a really BJ Penn-type move in its creativity and execution.

but besides physically looking the same in the cage, the bald head, etc ..
their fighting spirit, also there's a certain pai-mei relaxedness about them ... they've been through the wars, been in tight spots, they've been through the training and put in the time to be experts of the game, they know what you're trying to do and how to counter it, they usually exhibit a been-here-done-this type energy ...

Either one of them could have said this and it would fit:

“It felt great to hear the crowd chanting my name,” he said. “I think they connect with me because of my tenacity and the way I fight. I always have looked for the finish and I always will. I take chances for the fans.”

WAR both of them.

Lol could you imagine if Penn showed up looking like Lawler physique wise?would have been the WW champ for fucking years.

People are gonna misunderstand and flame you TS (because a lot of people only read the thread title's) but I understand what ya mean.

Both part Asian and bald... I see it, TS.

Yeah, he's not an elite wrestler but he's shown a lot of desterity in terms of grappling when he gets taken down. He also landed a beautiful reversal on Rory when they fought.

Not quite on BJ's level though:

1359103714094_6rkm89.gif

Lol could you imagine if Penn showed up looking like Lawler physique wise?would have been the WW champ for fucking years.

If he put the work in to look like that, he would have been running 155 longer than he did

When penn fought lawler it was nuts man. Biggest moment of my life. Penn was throwing spinning kicks and lawler was eating them like nothing. The guy is a real warrior. Shame it ended in ring out

i dont see much in the way of similarities.

Except Lawler was able to fix the weaknesses in his game & evolve. MMA seems to have passed Penn by.

BJ > Lawler
motivated BJ > all the people in the entire universe.

i see it TS

that relaxed boxing style. they dont give a shit, they just want to stand and throw punches, and if you grapple them, they just kinda make up whatever the fuck they feel like that day

Lawler is basically the reincarnated, motivated, natural 170lb version of Penn, minus the obvious difference in skill set, but the power & fighting spirit are still there.
When the JBG saw that Penn was on the decline, he bestowed his power onto Lawler to continue carrying the torch for all bald-headed, mixed race, Eurasian beastmode fighters & perhaps again one day, like Lyoto before him, we will once again see the Eurasian fighter take it's rightful place as champion.

Lawler is basically the reincarnated, motivated, natural 170lb version of Penn, minus the obvious difference in skill set, but the power & fighting spirit are still there.
When the JBG saw that Penn was on the decline, he bestowed his power onto Lawler to continue carrying the torch for all bald-headed, mixed race, Eurasian beastmode fighters & perhaps again one day, like Lyoto before him, we will once again see the Eurasian fighter take it's rightful place as champion.

lol, good one.

I'm sorry. I love Lawler and all but no.

Back