Lawler/Ellenberger

MCS

Tech
@Steel
Reaction score
Jake's got the speed edge and is more mobile, while Robbie's angles, defense, counters, combinations...basically everything he does is better when trading in the pocket.

Both have power, Lawler's got better kicks. Robbie's got the better chin. He's also relaxed nowadays, which helps his cardio, while Jake's faded a few times.

Jake probably tries to take it to the ground. Lawler likely won't, he tends to counterbox & stuff shots, with solid TDD.

Who wins and how? IMO, they won't trade like Johny and Robbie did, as Ellenberger likes to move on the outside and blitz forward, occasionally shoot.

Tough call for me but I think Robbie's experience wins him this. He's looked so calm and collected since returning to the UFC and I think he finds a way to win.

My only concern would be Robbie coming in unmotivated after coming up short against Hendricks. I think 100% Lawler beats 100% Ellenberger.

Robbie finally coming in as a favorite... makes me nervous.

Fight will depend on Ellenberger's aggression. I think he's too sloppy and will get KTFO.

I loved it when Ellenberger mean mugged him at the weigh ins as Lawler was turning back to put on his shoes then Lawler just gave him a death stare and Ellenberger got the hell off the stage.

I think Robbie wins this. I am a big fan of both fighters but when Jake fought Rory I saw a side of him that was scared to engage.

Depends on how Ellenberger shows up. The man has grenades for hands and is dangerous for anyone in the division. However, he can be a bit slow and hesitant to step on the gas. If he doesn't push Lawler he will get lit up.

Lawler is way too good a boxer for Jake. Rory showed what happens when you try to beat Lawler with only one punch in your arsenal. Jake has one punch in his arsenal.

Jake's also going to gas by the middle of the second round if he even makes it that long.

I'm not sure if Jake's style works in this one, since Rory tried to stay away from Robbie's punching power, but got low kicked. Jake doesn't have Rory's tools on the outside, but he rather blitzes in like Vitor. And if Jake trades with him, Lawler's better there and has shown a better chin.

So, that leaves a wrestling strategy, but Robbie's shown some pretty good TDD lately.

Close fight but I think Robbie will be able to mix it up with kicks and punches. I see a big head kick landing giving him the TKO. Robbie doesn't have the greatest chin and can get sloppy sometimes but I think he has become a lot more disciplined as of late.

I think Lawler wins and makes it look pretty easy. I expect him to outstrike Ellenberger on the way to a 30-27 decision.

In one of the videos posted by the UFC, I believe it was Embedded 5 if your interested, Nick Diaz called Dana. I'm thinking he wants the Ellenberger/Lawler winner for a title contender match. I would love to see a Lawler vs Diaz 2 assuming that Lawler wins but I wouldn't mind him fighting either of them. Some think he doesn't deserve a shot coming off two loses but I think some would argue that he beat Condit and at least beat up GSP. Before that he hadn't lost in a long time and beating one of those two would make him deserving. I say give the winner of that fight a title shot after the winner of Macdonald/Woodley or if Macdonald wins just let the winner get the first crack. IMO Macdonald doesn't deserve a title shot with his loss and lack luster performances but I think the UFC sees him as being a big money maker in Canada.

I'm gonna be putting money on burger.....lawler is good and the rightful fav. ........but with the right gameplan I think burger can win

**i am a little curious why you think lawler has a better chin ts?? Personally don't remember burger's getting cracked , and think they're pretty even

Burger-3rd sd

I pity anyone who decides to stand with Lawler, if this fight stays standing I see Lawler winning a UD.

I have been a fan of Jake since 2010 but I honestly don't kno how he can win this fight. I dont think he can take Robbie down and Robbie's the superior striker IMO. Plus he's got the chin & power to take out Jake anytime during the fight. I used to think Jake had an iron jaw until the Kampmann fight

Back