Law Question ?

StannisTheMannis

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Crazy ex bf shows up at my house demands to take my gf away from me. I ask him to leave he wont. He challenges me to a fight and i say lets go. I beat him up so badly he dies. Am I good or do i get involuntary manslaughter?

You'll probably end up in jail no matter what. How long depends on the circumstances of "I beat him up so badly he dies." If it was a 1-punch KO and he hits his head on the ground and dies, that's one thing. If you curb stomp him for 10 minutes and then strangle him or something excessive, that's another.

Prepare your anus. You'd be going to prison.

Engaging in a fight because someone is calling you out is not a solid legal defense.

If he dies as the result of your criminal activity (fighting) you're going to be charged.

Crazy ex bf shows up at my house demands to take my gf away from me. I ask him to leave he wont. He challenges me to a fight and i say lets go. I beat him up so badly he dies. Am I good or do i get involuntary manslaughter?
depends on the jurisdiction, they have different tests, some places you'd be fine. and when you mean 'take the girl away' do you mean he'll physically remove her against her will or just that you'd feel insulted that he'd try to woo her?

can you escape the fight? are you fighting in defense of another person?

usually there is some sort of test involving what a reasonable person would do in the circumstances armed w/ the same knowledge. fear? proportionality? etc.

typically, if you go out of your house to confront someone rather than stay inside and beat someone to death, you're probably well fucked.

Yea, you don't get to go outside of a house to confront someone and kill them and get off.

Manslaughter, probably not even involuntary. Call the cops, then beat him up. At least you can say you tried.

Or if this already actually did happen, you should be ok if he was physically in the house. Depending on what state your in. If it's Canada, I don't know their laws.

No one can answer that question as there are so many circumstances. I think you'd be absolutely fucked in most situations, even with a good defense attorney.

Usually the test involves "Reasonable force." If he's trespassing, you have the right to use "reasonable force" to remove him from your property. I cannot be more helpful than that.

but they are on my property my lawn...

It doesn't matter. You have to be able to prove that you were in immediate and imminent danger, and that you only used the minimum forced required to defend yourself or another person. And it's gonna be HARD to prove that it was necissary force, especially if you are using your hands. Honestly you'd be better off shooting him in the chest and saying he was trying to kill you than having a medical examiner explain much trama occurred in the process of you beating someone to death. Not to mention that as soon as someone is not a threat if you hit him even once more it's not a crime and not self defense, and the prosecution will have someone ready to testify that the trama induced from the beating would have incapacitated him before he would have died, which would make what you did criminal.

By "your property" do you mean your parents house? No offense but you sound very young.

Yea, you don't get to go outside of a house to confront someone and kill them and get off.

Yeah, noob, you invite him into your house to discuss, then you shoot him for breaking into your house.

But seriously, avoid all the drama, and your life will be happier. I'd video dude and tell him to leave. If he doesn't, call the cops.

Damn, if you killed someone you may want to spend time seeing a real lawyer rather than a sherlawyer.

Back