Laughing off submissions

Jimmy Cerra

Amateur Fighter
@Black
Reaction score
This is the strangest thing. Achillie locks and other ankle locks hurt like heck and tapping often seems like a pain-tolerance thing. Well, lately I noticed that by laughing, the pain seems to go down enough that I can concentrate and counter the sub. Does laughing help increase one's pain tolerance during submission attempts?

P.S. I know that I shouldn't make mistakes and let them get those holds in the first place... I'm still learning and figuring out how to do that! ;)

you're probably taking your focus off the pain.

but if they crank it they might break something before you realize it.

Laughing releases endorphins, which are the body's natural pain killers. I will laugh when something really hurts at times. I'll also think of something funny when I have to work really hard. Like when doing the kind of workout where your instructor is yelling at you to go faster, and people are vomiting and stuff, thinking funny thoughts makes it easier.

flyingknee16 said:
you're probably taking your focus off the pain.

but if they crank it they might break something before you realize it.

yeah, gotta watch out for that

a lot of the leg locks will really hurt right as your joint breaks...

if you look crazy enough when you start laughing they might even release it due to fear
:p

Laughing helps, but be careful. Even Achilles locks can make you black and blue and give you a limp for a while.

I've never done anything like that in training. I feel the pain, but I can just fight through it. I have a pretty high pain threshold. It'd look really weird if someone was cranking that armbar and you were just lying there laughing your ass off. People would think you were insane. ;)

I suggest u tap.
See the gut getting subbed in the grappling tourney by Gomi (crasy leg sub) laughing?

Frank done something like that once in one of his fights with Bas. Bas hit him the face and Frank kept making different funny faces....

Back