Last seconds of a close fight

Brood

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Without going into who should've won between Jones and Reyes (There's like a billion of these threads ATM) - I just wanted to point out how much I hate it when fighters feel like they are ahead on the scorecard so they can just turn their backs and run/avoid contact for the final 5-10 seconds. It's just so fucking lame, if one wanna go all defense - so be it, but this shit should just be a point deduction for timidity.
Reyes did this shit, and Aldo did it against Moraes, and gladly both ended up losing the fight. Awkward justice FTW!

I agree. It's like they refuse to acknowledge that it's close or remotely competitive. Like they think they won by a landslide and can afford to give away a round. They only have 5 and that should never be a thought. Losing 1 round substantially levels the playing field when you have so few rounds to begin with.

What about doing nothing the whole fight and going in a flurry at the end of it for like 30 seconds and winning a fight that he should have lost ala black beast. I'm a big Lewis fan but by the rules he should have lost that fight.

Coaches need to let their fighters know that it's a close fight going into the fifth round and keep reminding them to to for it.

I remember Hendricks coaches letting him down against GSP. Coasted that 5th big time and ending up losing by a round.

Coaches need to keep their fighters in sixth gear in the final round.

Coaches need to let their fighters know that it's a close fight going into the fifth round and keep reminding them to to for it.

I remember Hendricks coaches letting him down against GSP. Coasted that 5th big time and ending up losing by a round.

Coaches need to keep their fighters in sixth gear in the final round.

It's not like in Rd 5 you need to save your energy for anything. Go all out and expend every last bit of strength and human endeavour that you have

If you think you're 3 rounds up, which he should've been, why would you risk leaving yourself open and getting KOed just to land a few extra strikes?

From an entertainment point I get it, but if the rounds are scored properly it's the smart thing to do

If you think you're 3 rounds up, which he should've been, why would you risk leaving yourself open and getting KOed just to land a few extra strikes?

From an entertainment point I get it, but if the rounds are scored properly it's the smart thing to do

I don't expect em to go all berserk (although that would be rather awesome), but just avoiding any contact to the point of running away should be punished, thus awarding the other fighter a 10-8 and canceling the supposed lead they beleive they have. A penalty for timidity is an existing concept after all.
In soccer you usually see this kind of shit when a leading team just passes the ball between themselves for the final minute. It sucks there and it sucks here as well, but in MMA the scoring system can actually be used to prevent this kind of stuff.

What about doing nothing the whole fight and going in a flurry at the end of it for like 30 seconds and winning a fight that he should have lost ala black beast. I'm a big Lewis fan but by the rules he should have lost that fight.

Heh, you refering to the Volkov fight?
I don't recall Lewis coasting or running, he just has little cardio and Volkov is much more technical and efficient.

That fight imo could have went either way as the grappling was a plenty but he did fuck all with it

Heh, you refering to the Volkov fight?
I don't recall Lewis coasting or running, he just has little cardio and Volkov is much more technical and efficient.
His last 2

I don't expect em to go all berserk (although that would be rather awesome), but just avoiding any contact to the point of running away should be punished, thus awarding the other fighter a 10-8 and canceling the supposed lead they beleive they have. A penalty for timidity is an existing concept after all.
In soccer you usually see this kind of shit when a leading team just passes the ball between themselves for the final minute. It sucks there and it sucks here as well, but in MMA the scoring system can actually be used to prevent this kind of stuff.
That's not how scoring works

Without going into who should've won between Jones and Reyes (There's like a billion of these threads ATM) - I just wanted to point out how much I hate it when fighters feel like they are ahead on the scorecard so they can just turn their backs and run/avoid contact for the final 5-10 seconds. It's just so fucking lame, if one wanna go all defense - so be it, but this shit should just be a point deduction for timidity.
Reyes did this shit, and Aldo did it against Moraes, and gladly both ended up losing the fight. Awkward justice FTW!

I don't think you understand what 'justice' means.

Back