Last night shows why I've been saying Swanson has a chance against Aldo

kmasonbx

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I've been saying for a long time that Swanson is a tough matchup for Aldo but everybody retorts by saying "he got KO'd in 8 seconds" but last night's fight proves that a quick KO doesn't necessarily prove supremacy for the winner.

Swanson and Aldo could fight 100 more times and Aldo will never land another double flying knee 5 seconds into the fight. Swanson is a very good striker, very explosive. There is nobody at 145 that can dominate him on the feet. If the two fought again I do think Aldo is the favorite but Swanson would give him a really good fight.

That example might work if not for the fact that JDS T/KO'ing all level of HW opponents in the UFC is the norm and not an exception.

Unless I'm mistaken and we are just throwing his record out the window.

I don't really get what your point is. Are you trying to say that Swanson doesn't have good wins? His only losses since the Aldo fight are to grapplers. His last 3 fights he's KO'd Roop, Pearson, and Oliveira, and if he doesn't KO Siver it's going to be a one sided fight in Swanson's favor.

MMA like all sports is about matchups, and anybody at 145 who is going to stand with Swanson is going to have a tough fight. Aldo is a very good grappler but he doesn't really use it. If a rematch between the two does happen and Aldo uses his grappling he likely wins easy but if he makes it a kick boxing match it's going to be a close fight.

I'm glad Swanson has the cardio, wrestling and pace that Cain has and that Aldo is as one dimensional as Junior is ...

Wait, they don't!

I don't really get what your point is. Are you trying to say that Swanson doesn't have good wins? His only losses since the Aldo fight are to grapplers. His last 3 fights he's KO'd Roop, Pearson, and Oliveira, and if he doesn't KO Siver it's going to be a one sided fight in Swanson's favor.

MMA like all sports is about matchups, and anybody at 145 who is going to stand with Swanson is going to have a tough fight. Aldo is a very good grappler but he doesn't really use it. If a rematch between the two does happen and Aldo uses his grappling he likely wins easy but if he makes it a kick boxing match it's going to be a close fight.

I would put money that Aldo would never initiate grappling.

Nope, Siver will be Cain to Cub's JDS and wrestle him to death for three rounds with shocking newfound grappling skills.

They are absolutely nothing alike. Aldo is not some HW where you can land a lucky shot against him and his striking is not 1 dimensional like JDS who only boxes. Aldo has lethal leg kicks (Faber fight), lethal knees (Mendes, Swanson fight) and lethal hands (Gamburyan fight).

The stupidity of making all these comparisons off one main event is getting ridiculous.

Here is something that you can compare from last night and that's styles make fights. Yushin Okami ground out a decision against Belcher and even though both have improved since the last fight the same result occurred. Cub Swanson has significantly improved his striking but Aldo's is still better than his and still makes him a nightmare match up for Swanson. It might not be more drawn out next time but Aldo still picks apart Swanson on his feet.

I don't think it would match up the same in that fight, but last night's fight showed that early flash knock outs aren't always indicative of the best fighter winning.

They are absolutely nothing alike. Aldo is not some HW where you can land a lucky shot against him and his striking is not 1 dimensional like JDS who only boxes. Aldo has lethal leg kicks (Faber fight), lethal knees (Mendes, Swanson fight) and lethal hands (Gamburyan fight).

The stupidity of making all these comparisons off one main event is getting ridiculous.

Here is something that you can compare from last night and that's styles make fights. Yushin Okami ground out a decision against Belcher and even though both have improved since the last fight the same result occurred. Cub Swanson has significantly improved his striking but Aldo's is still better than his and still makes him a nightmare match up for Swanson. It might not be more drawn out next time but Aldo still picks apart Swanson on his feet.

You clearly missed my point. I didn't compare Aldo to JDS or Cub to Cain, all I did was compare the situation. Just to make it clear my point is simply because one person gets a KO very quickly does not mean they are a clear favorite or even the superior fighter. This was the case with JDS and Cain and IMO is the case with Aldo and Swanson.

After Cub gets by Siver I'd love to see him face K and then Aldo if he hasn't moved up to 155.

No, a swift flash KO doesn't prove supremacy, it proves who won the fight.

the difference is Cub has multiple losses including the champ. and Cain had only 1 loss which was the champ.

I wasn't commenting on Swanson at all. I like him and hope he beat's Aldo although I'm not sure that'll happen. I was referring to the "last night's example" comparison.

hmmm interesting. Aldo would kick Cubs legs to death and win a lopsided decision this time

Back