Last minute advice for competition.

wildcard_seven

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I'm doing a submission grappling tournament saturday, gi and no gi. However, I've only rolled with the gi a couple times, and I have no clue how you guys defend lapel chokes. Do you just pull them apart, can you describe or post a picture? I'm going beginnner obviously, although I'm sure I'll still get handled, but If you help me out with this hopefully I can stay alive a little longer.

best thing to do is knock someones hand off when they have your lapel and make sure they never get two hands there.

I sometimes pull my kimono up so it creates a hood type thing over me when i'm having trouble defending on the ground, that extra slack makes it very hard for someone to get a choke in.

Saulo Ribeiro recommends using one hand, lets say your left, to grab the collar on the opposite side of your gim, lets say the right side of your collar, and just put a thumb inside your collar by your neck. Now put your other hand in front of the one holding your collar, so your wrists bones are touching. It will be virtually impossible for him to put any lapel chokes on you as you will be able to pull the collar down to keep it loose and the thumb inside your collar ensures you'll always have a little bit of space. This is on his Jiu Jitsu Revolution DVD series.

Sometimes sticking your arm inbetween theirs can help you lever them apart enough to escape the sub.

just be conscious of where his other hand is when he's got one hand on your lapel. easier said than done i must admit. be grateful that you are fighting in the beginner division because id bet most of them dont know how to use the gi really well yet, so you wont be at an incredible disadvantage.

terrier and superbeast covered it.

after doing what they tell you to do (grab your lapel), i would then reach down and pull out one of his hooks. make sure he doesnt come across into the mount position. the hook that is still in, push against the inside of his knee and switch your hips and you should be out.

if all else fails, stick your chin into your chest and dont give him a centimetre!!!!

Stoic1 said:
LOLOLOL
I haven't seen that one in a LONG time.

as for lapel choke defenses.

just keep your chin down. When they grab the lapel from from guard, use a single hand and hold it away or down and tuck your chin under it so they can't pull it over.

then go at it again. Also, alot of newbies will use lapel grabs too much and it causes issues with their defense. Such as using a outstretched arm to choke you. Just lock it up and use it as a way to pass their guard.

If you don't know how to defend deh gi choke, make sure you go make deh caca before you match. This way when you get choked out, you won't make a caca in your gi

The first way to defend a lapel choke is to not be in a position where your opponent can sink the choke in...if it is already too late, grab your opponent's hands where they are gripping your lapel and pull the opposite way. Tuck your chin too.

Also, remember that your gaurd is a defensive position. If my opponent is trying a lapel choke from in my gaurd, I relieve some pressure by pushing them away from with my gaurd and arching my back. If my opponent maintains his grip, I trap his arms so he is over-extended. This allows for opportunities for armbars and triangles.

If someone is trying a lapel chokes and I'm in their gaurd, I like to get off my knees to my feet, lean into them while I work a pass.

For A Lapel Choke Just Dont Let Them Grab On To Boith Your Lapel If They Do Then Get Your Arms In There To Pull Them Out And Becareful Of Armbars If Your New Thats The #1 That You Can Get Tapped Out With< Good Luck

wildcard_seven said:
I'm doing a submission grappling tournament saturday, gi and no gi. However, I've only rolled with the gi a couple times, and I have no clue how you guys defend lapel chokes. Do you just pull them apart, can you describe or post a picture? I'm going beginnner obviously, although I'm sure I'll still get handled, but If you help me out with this hopefully I can stay alive a little longer.

Going against white belts you can pretty much get away without having much of a gi choke defence just by keeping up a high-pressure, constant moving no-gi game. Just do what you can to not be slowed down. Don't grab his gi, you'll lose more than you gain.

I haven't seen many whites with good gi chokes.

Wildcard_Seven, it's Saturday night after the tourney. So how many times did you get gi choked buddy?

Col. Angus said:
If you don't know how to defend deh gi choke, make sure you go make deh caca before you match. This way when you get choked out, you won't make a caca in your gi

sound advice there. although i do admire that he was willing to strap a gi on and go for it.

Back