Last Grappling Purist to hold the Belt

Nurmagomedov.... oh, you said "last". I thought you meant "next". My bad.

There are no purists at the top anymore, not Demian Maia(great wrestling), not Werdum(good striking), not Ben Askren(mixes wrestling and subs).

Really, you can't compare the way demian maia fights nowadays with Royce Gracie, Maia is much more well rounded.

Palhares is the most notable one, zero wins by ko/tko

So when you think about those fighters whom are mostly purists to their strongest discipline, it got me wondering, who was the last purist grappler to hold a UFC belt....actually....have any?

I'd say Matt Hughes...his striking never seemed to improve and people knew exactly what he was gonna to to them and still had a very hard time stopping it until GSP and then age caught up with him.

So when you ask your question you clearly mean who has no skill in anything but a grappling art?

There are MANY high level grappling champions throughout the history of the sport. Just because they developed talents in other areas doesn't mean they are not purists. Werdum developed his stand up because NO ONE wanted to stay on the ground with him and it makes him more of a complete fighter.

In MMA, you have to remember that pulling guard isn't as safe as doing so in the Mundials or ADCC. The grappling artists have to adapt to the environment they are competing in. Some just so happen to be really good at other skills too.

I'd say Matt Hughes...his striking never seemed to improve and people knew exactly what he was gonna to to them and still had a very hard time stopping it until GSP and then age caught up with him.

I was gonna say Hughes and it made me think about how even Sherk improved his boxing but Hughes never really did

He's as much of a pure talent in grappling as anyone
He has very polished wrestling, subs AND striking.This thread is about people with rudimentary skills/training in other areas. TS isn't even talking about wrestling, just submission grappling

Who was the last person (other than Ronda) to win or a defend a title by submission?

Last guy to do both was Anthony Pettis.

Who would probably be considered a striker :icon_chee

it's mma.

there's no such a thing as ''purist'' in any one art...

this might have existed only in the early days, royce, severn, coleman, etc... but not for the past decade.

Back