Larkin vs Howard what's wrong with how they judge striking

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Forever Changes, Jan 18, 2015.

1. Forever Changes

Forever Changes Orange Belt

Basically I saw Larkin doing his best Ali impression with the jab on Howard. I could tell howard was feeling those but all Rogan talked about was the leg kicks. I think its kindve arbitrary like takedowns.its become a cultural thing that people find aesthetically pleasing but doesnt all ways translate to the perceived damage. Why? Well the reason leg kicks are the lowest scored kick in muay thai is that it easy to check among many other subtle ways to minimize the damage. Stepping in, making it land with the foot on a harder part of the leg etc.You can usually tell how a fighter reacts during and after a leg kick does real damage. Still while devastating it isn't as effective as it was when fighters generally weren't as good at checking. Really cant say that about being hit in the face with a 4 ounce glove. Brain damage can be assumed. But the leg kicks are powerful looking so the judges seem to count them like they all ways land clean. Meanwhile a jab can be hard to see and if you've never been hit with one in tiny gloves, you dont realize how much pain and damage it causes.I doubt the judges understand this.

2. bjdiaz

bjdiaz Purple Belt

Larkin stopped Howard. So how do you know how the striking would've been judged on the cards?

3. Forever Changes

Sadly slight edge to howard. I dont think those dozen jabs would be counted. They basically score it like crosses=leg kicks> hooks>body kicks> half connected spinning shit> heavy jab.

4. Forever Changes

What do you think?

5. King Charles**

King Charles** Purple Belt

6. Forever Changes

Que?

7. MayhemMonkey

MayhemMonkey Titanium Belt

are you comparing the impact of a jab to the impact of a legkick? because depending on who's throwing them the impact of both shouldnt be anywhere near similar.

8. MayhemMonkey

MayhemMonkey Titanium Belt

that stands for "too long, didnt read" TS

9. Forever Changes

Yes of course but regardless I find they are consistently treated in this way. Leg kicks overestimated and jabs underestimated if not ignored all together .