Larger opponent

P

Pitbull165

just out of the blue, whats the best strategy 4 grappling w/ a larger opponent who is about the same height?

well if he's larger, but the same height he is probly fat...or jacked....either way will give them added leverage, but it'll slow them down. Just concentrate on using good technique and speed. Get a good position and hold it, i'd try to stay on top....working your guard against a larger guy may get tiring if they just lean all their weight on you, which big guys are famous for. Is this just a hypothetical or do you have someone you train with that gives your problems??

Using speed and technique is the key, if you try to muscle them around you will get owned.

use arm drag to take their back i think thats the most effective thing against bigger/slower guys

heel hooks work good so does the arm crush when they're in ur guard

just move fast and don't try to power ur way out of anything thats how u get in trouble

alexgncw said:
use arm drag to take their back i think thats the most effective thing against bigger/slower guys

heel hooks work good so does the arm crush when they're in ur guard

just move fast and don't try to power ur way out of anything thats how u get in trouble

arm crush? what technique is that?

MadMonkeyBJJx9 said:
well if he's larger, but the same height he is probly fat...or jacked....either way will give them added leverage, but it'll slow them down. Just concentrate on using good technique and speed. Get a good position and hold it, i'd try to stay on top....working your guard against a larger guy may get tiring if they just lean all their weight on you, which big guys are famous for. Is this just a hypothetical or do you have someone you train with that gives your problems??

actually some1 i train w/. he's a big son of a bitch. 5'10, but weighs around 260. not really fat, just thick like a tree stump. im about 5'9, 170, so theres almost a 100 lb weight difference. i figured speed is the best approach, but it's hard 2 maneuver around some1 who is so big. if he were taller, i could go low, but as i said, he's the same height so it's really difficult.

just train, if his technique or defense is better than yours hes gonno win, i can tool guys who are much larger than me who have poor technique ---even if theyr shorter and heavier and decent mobility. but once they have good talkedown defense , good guard passes, good top control theyr gonno beat you which is why you gotta train to out-wit them technically.

satchmo said:
Using speed and technique is the key, if you try to muscle them around you will get owned.

I have to agree with this advice. Speed, technique and consistent movement should be used when "playing" with a larger opponent. Big guys with a large weight advantage can offset their lack of technique. However, if your opponent is large with good technique - good luck.

Back