Landing strikes on a tall opponent

A

Antnymofo

Does anyone have any tips on landind shots on a taller opponent? Should you maybe wait till he throws, get a good angle and counter, or should you simply clinch? I would prefer to not clinch so if you guys have any ideas let me know.

When fighting a taller opponent, you must be like lint, always in his pocket. It doesn't make too much sense to try throwing jabs with a taller opponent, as well as out punching him. Two things can be done. Number one you can counter his punches with parrys and punches of your own, then closing the distance and throwing hooks and uppercuts. Number two, use head movement to come inside and light up the body and head. I mean if you want to learn how to fight a taller guy...watch Tyson fight. His style was anti tall guy. I love OLD tyson. Make sure it's old tyson. Anything before Michael Spinks fight.

Slipping punches and body shots. If you're that much lower, already, it makes it that much easier.

farmboy said:
Slipping punches and body shots. If you're that much lower, already, it makes it that much easier.

Froget what I said, Tyson never did this.

Dominic Kihlstrand said:
When fighting a taller opponent, you must be like lint, always in his pocket. It doesn't make too much sense to try throwing jabs with a taller opponent, as well as out punching him. Two things can be done. Number one you can counter his punches with parrys and punches of your own, then closing the distance and throwing hooks and uppercuts. Number two, use head movement to come inside and light up the body and head. I mean if you want to learn how to fight a taller guy...watch Tyson fight. His style was anti tall guy. I love OLD tyson. Make sure it's old tyson. Anything before Michael Spinks fight.

you could jab still, just to keep their mind from concentrating. you can't just sit stil while on the outside thinking and waiting, b/c then he can read your thoughts by your body language.

Of course you can jab. The thing is that you need good footwork to come in to range and get back out.

Dominic Kihlstrand said:
Of course you can jab. The thing is that you need good footwork to come in to range and get back out.

Good point. Footwork is key.

throw kicks and try to bring him down.

shogunera said:
throw kicks and try to bring him down.

throw kicks on a taller guy? I can't remember how many times ive been front kicked for my efforts!

I'm 6'6 people i train with usually set things up with body shots.The key to beating tall guys is getting inside and once you get inside you have to be on them and just out work them.Sometimes leg kicks work but you have to be fast and waiting for a counter punch or kick from the taller guy.

Back