Lack of Energy

Otchum

White Belt
Reaction score
As the title says at the moment I am lacking energy and feeling a bit flat. Anybody any idea's what supplements i could take to get me back on track again?. At the moment all i am taking is a multivitamin. I am not a fighter, I do mainly endurance sports, but as fighters are known for being some of the fittest athletes I thought this would be a good place to ask. I usually train twice a day 6 days a week and my diet is fairly healthy and stable, so if anybody has any idea's i would be very grateful.

A few good strong cups of coffee should do it. Are you low or no carb? If so...sometimes your body just has to get used to it before you get your energy back, or so I've heard. If you eat a lot of carbs, it can give you sustained energy, but, depending on your tolerance and the types of carbs you consume, it can also make you lethargic. There are also a couple decent sugar free energy drinks on the market that can give you a good kick in the pants. However...you train a lot so...perhaps you just need more rest so you can recover properly. If you're overtrained, you definitely feel weak.

You shouldn't depend on supplements for energy. Once you have figured out your energy problems by natural means you should take an energy supplement if you feel like you really need that extra kick. But we need more info. What is your sleep like? That is usually the #1 reason why a lot of people lack energy. You said your diet is clean but how often/how much do you eat? By doing endurance sports you are burning a lot of calories and you will need a lot more than just three square meals a day. Give us some more info so we can answer your question.

when was the last time you had a deload/break from training?

That was my instinct as well.

When endurance athletes complain about feeling flat, it's a possible overtraining symptom. You can mask it with caffeine or stimulants, but unless you are working to try to peak for a particular event (that is soon), then you'd be better off simply backing off.

Thanks for the reply's guys. I am at work a the moment, when i get back this evening i will give you a run down of my diet and training.

Eat more. If you aren't eating enough, you're not going to have enough energy. Even if you're trying to lose weight, eating more could help.

cmon_man_tshirt-p235213615516900782y8hc_400.jpg

Ok here is a little more info about my training and diet,

Monday, mainly a rest day wake up at 05:30am steady walk/run with the dog.
Tuesday, 45 min swim before work, 45-1hr run after work
Wednesday, 30-45 mins swim before work, 1hr-1hr 45 bike ride
Thursday, 1 hour strength session in the gym, 30-45min run
Friday, usually alternate between a 90 min run or a 2-3 hour bike ride.
Satuday, 1 hour swim, 1 hour run or 90 bike ride.
Sunday 2-5 hour bike ride.

Diet wise, Breakfast is either weetbix x3 or Fruit loaf x 3 slices, morning snack 2 x pieces of fruit, Lunch varies between steemed rice, chicken sandwhich, or some oats and fruit, afternoon snack 2x pices of fruit, Dinner varies around mainly chicken, with pasta/potato/veg etc. I drink around 1-1.5 litre of water per day, plus a few coffee's.

Sleep wise i am a early to bed early riser, more often than not I get a good nights sleep.

Last time i took a decent non training break was maybe 7 weeks ago but that was inury forced ,I am taking 4 days of this weekend to rest up a bit, but i dont want to take too much time off as I have a half ironman in Jan.

I had some blood tests and the results came back all good so there is no underlying illness to be making me flat.

Maybe i need a bit of a rest and change my diet around a bit?

Ok here is a little more info about my training and diet,

Monday, mainly a rest day wake up at 05:30am steady walk/run with the dog.
Tuesday, 45 min swim before work, 45-1hr run after work
Wednesday, 30-45 mins swim before work, 1hr-1hr 45 bike ride
Thursday, 1 hour strength session in the gym, 30-45min run
Friday, usually alternate between a 90 min run or a 2-3 hour bike ride.
Satuday, 1 hour swim, 1 hour run or 90 bike ride.
Sunday 2-5 hour bike ride.

Diet wise, Breakfast is either weetbix x3 or Fruit loaf x 3 slices, morning snack 2 x pieces of fruit, Lunch varies between steemed rice, chicken sandwhich, or some oats and fruit, afternoon snack 2x pices of fruit, Dinner varies around mainly chicken, with pasta/potato/veg etc. I drink around 1-1.5 litre of water per day, plus a few coffee's.

Sleep wise i am a early to bed early riser, more often than not I get a good nights sleep.

Last time i took a decent non training break was maybe 7 weeks ago but that was inury forced ,I am taking 4 days of this weekend to rest up a bit, but i dont want to take too much time off as I have a half ironman in Jan.

I had some blood tests and the results came back all good so there is no underlying illness to be making me flat.

Maybe i need a bit of a rest and change my diet around a bit?

i wish i had all that time to work out. been doing contract work overseas for 2 years now. 13 hour work days.

i wish i had all that time to work out. been doing contract work overseas for 2 years now. 13 hour work days.

Yea i am fortunate that I am able to work a 4 day week. Helps with the training but not the bank balance, but it works ok for me.

Quick things ive noticed, that is alot of cardio for the amount of food you appear to be consuming.

Also you diet is very carb heavy, there appears to be not a huge amount of protein and very little fat. Increase your protein intake with more meat and eggs and add some fat into your diet, EVOO, real butter, nuts, cheese, coconut oil.

Increase your calorie intake with more protein and fat, that should help your energy levels. I wouldn't rely on stimulants for anything more than a extra boost during training or if have the occasional crappy nights sleep because your only masking a problem.

Quick things ive noticed, that is alot of cardio for the amount of food you appear to be consuming.

Also you diet is very carb heavy, there appears to be not a huge amount of protein and very little fat. Increase your protein intake with more meat and eggs and add some fat into your diet, EVOO, real butter, nuts, cheese, coconut oil.

Increase your calorie intake with more protein and fat, that should help your energy levels. I wouldn't rely on stimulants for anything more than a extra boost during training or if have the occasional crappy nights sleep because your only masking a problem.

Great thank you, I will up my fat and protein intake.

i would try and cut back on the training slightly, maybe middle of the week, cut it on that day to just one workout...doing that many two-a-days is definitely causing your problems, you're simply not giving yourself enough time to recover...not only your muscular system but your nervous system as well. I would begin removing one workout a week, and maybe even a second...and as stated, increase your calorie intake for sure, you're burning way too much to be eating like that...add in more protein, in the form of chicken, steak, fish, protein powder, etc...

a quick snack thats easy to carry or keep in your desk, raw almonds and a spoon of honey...good boost to calories without making you feel heavy

i would try and cut back on the training slightly, maybe middle of the week, cut it on that day to just one workout...doing that many two-a-days is definitely causing your problems, you're simply not giving yourself enough time to recover...not only your muscular system but your nervous system as well. I would begin removing one workout a week, and maybe even a second...and as stated, increase your calorie intake for sure, you're burning way too much to be eating like that...add in more protein, in the form of chicken, steak, fish, protein powder, etc...

a quick snack thats easy to carry or keep in your desk, raw almonds and a spoon of honey...good boost to calories without making you feel heavy

Great ty for the reply and advice.

As the title says at the moment I am lacking energy and feeling a bit flat. Anybody any idea's what supplements i could take to get me back on track again?. At the moment all i am taking is a multivitamin. I am not a fighter, I do mainly endurance sports, but as fighters are known for being some of the fittest athletes I thought this would be a good place to ask. I usually train twice a day 6 days a week and my diet is fairly healthy and stable, so if anybody has any idea's i would be very grateful.

my coworker takes jack and n-explode... they say it really works and give you that boost of energy...

my coworker takes jack and n-explode... they say it really works and give you that boost of energy...

That's because of the caffeine. If you're gonna take jack3d or no-xplode, make it yourself, its cheaper.

Its not really the instant hit that I was looking for. But following a change in my protein and Carb intake and cutting back on the training a bit and am feeling a lot sprightlier. Thank you all for info and advice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back