kru pong muay thai in houston

jameshk

White Belt
Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with this place? What's the instruction like? How are the rates? I tried searching but couldn't find anything.

I dont know about that place. I havent been then in my gym search. We have great MT instructors at Elite MMA on westheimer. I've been training there for a while. I enjoy it there a lot. Miletich might be OK. I have a few friends that train there.

If you go with Kru Pong, get ready to get worked out. You'd get only about a minute of breaks between kicking, punching, doing pad work, etc. There are a few students there who fight in MT matches, and are very helpful.

Just call Kru Pong for the fees. I believe it starts at $90 for 2 days a week, then of course, higher from there. No set class schedules. He just asks that you stay at least an hour to work out.

so would kru pong's place be a good place to go if I want to eventually compete in mt?

so would kru pong's place be a good place to go if I want to eventually compete in mt?

yep
theres alot more fighters competing in muay thai matches as of recently thats been training at kru pongs...

also the guy who teaches muay thai at elite trained under kru pong and still swings by every once in awhile...

Does anyone know how much he charges/his schedule?

I assume you posted this because of the new location? Thinking about joining myself but i don't believe they are open just yet...

I assume you posted this because of the new location? Thinking about joining myself but i don't believe they are open just yet...

What do u mean theyre not open just yet? Isn't it that small gym next to Thai Gourmet?

Yup, and he runs Thai Gourmet.
Great food and great prices.

I don't train there but have a couple friends that do.

I'm not 100% on this, but I believe his times are 9 - 11 am Monday - Friday & Sunday, and 4:30 - 8:30 pm Monday - Thursday.
The rates start at $90 per month for two classes per week, and since it's not really structured in hour increment classes, I believe you can technically come in and train for three hours and that counts as one day.
The awesome thing imo is that it's one of the few gyms that doesn't force a contract on you so if you're not feeling it after a couple of months, you can just go.

If you do decide to train at a MMA gym, I would be surprised(read: SHOCKED) if one of the muay thai/stand up instructors had not spent a significant amount of time training under Kru Pong.

2 days a week is a bit expense.

I only pay 100 a month at Saekson and I can go anytime they're open.

so will he still be teaching at the old gym? and is Saekson in the houston area?

He is opening another one over at Briar Forest and Dairy Ashford:

Muay Thai G.R.I.P Academy

wow, and that really isn't that far from his other location.
Bsum, when and how did you find out about this, and do you know any more info such as proposed schedules and prices?

Also, do you currently train anywhere in Houston?

Kru Pong is a fantastic trainer and I recomend him if you are interested in mt fights.
He trains every morning from 9-11 and mon-thur 4 30-800 pm. His rates start off at 90 a month for twice a week and 120 for 3 times a week. He has a lot of experienced students who are also very helpful.

Kru Pong is a fantastic trainer and I recomend him if you are interested in mt fights.
He trains every morning from 9-11 and mon-thur 4 30-800 pm. His rates start off at 90 a month for twice a week and 120 for 3 times a week. He has a lot of experienced students who are also very helpful.

Are you currently training there? And is it true that he's opening up another gym?

Yes I have been training there for about five months. I have not heard anything
about him moving locations. Kru Pong likes being right by his restaurant, Thai Gourmet.

wow, and that really isn't that far from his other location.
Bsum, when and how did you find out about this, and do you know any more info such as proposed schedules and prices?

Also, do you currently train anywhere in Houston?

Well the new location is down the street from my house so I noticed it driving by. It's still not open yet that I can tell but does have a lot of equipment set up inside, including a ring. Not sure if the other location is closing or what...

I am a newb at training but have always thought about giving it a try. Per my email inquiry to the gym the pricing is around $90/month it seems. They said they want to see what you want to get out of it before they discuss pricing with you.

I hate it when I call a gym and ask about pricing they say some garbage like "Come in try out a class. We can talk to you about pricing afterwards. It can be as low as 10 dollars a class!"

Back