• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Kobe Bryant's personality

shredman

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
I read this GQ article about Kobe and some of the bits in there intrigued me. I'm not a basketball fan and know nothing about Kobe, I was interested in him because I heard he is apparently comparable to Jordan in terms of accomplishments, and that made me interested, because I'm interested in, as Joe Rogan once put it, "extreme winners."

Here's the article:

http://www.gq.com/sports/201503/kobe-bryant-nba-allstar?currentPage=1

Here are some of the bits that interested me:

This first bit is the writer talking about meeting Kobe:

I mentally prepare myself for a justifiably surly, potentially uncommunicative sociopath.

This is, obviously, Kobe about himself:

"Does my nature make me less enjoyable to play with? Of course," he says. "Of course it does. Is it possible that some top players in the league are intimidated by that? Yes. But do I want to play with those players? Does the Laker organization want those specific players? No. Magic. Jordan. Bird. We all would have been phenomenal teammates. This organization wants players who will carry this franchise to another five or six championships. The player who does that has to be cut from the same cloth. And if they're not cut from that cloth, they don't belong here."

This self-perpetuating image of Bryant as an unyielding workaholic has become so integral to his ethos that it reflexively informs every other detail about his life. He has become The Last Hard Man, the realest of the real, the lone remnant from a Precambrian NBA era when players still hated each other and the only people who cared about AAU basketball were actual eighth graders.

So my question is, what exactly is it that makes him less enjoyable to play with? The article mentions something about demanding the same work ethic from his teammates. Does he give his temmates crap, what is it?

Kobe is a really great basketball player, one of the best to play the game.

He's not even close to Jordan.

Prime Wad shits all over prime Kooby

Kobe will always be known for being a serial sexual assaulter and having to buy his wife's love.

I read this GQ article about Kobe and some of the bits in there intrigued me. I'm not a basketball fan and know nothing about Kobe, I was interested in him because I heard he is apparently comparable to Jordan in terms of accomplishments, and that made me interested, because I'm interested in, as Joe Rogan once put it, "extreme winners."

Here's the article:

http://www.gq.com/sports/201503/kobe-bryant-nba-allstar?currentPage=1

Here are some of the bits that interested me:

This first bit is the writer talking about meeting Kobe:

This is, obviously, Kobe about himself:

So my question is, what exactly is it that makes him less enjoyable to play with? The article mentions something about demanding the same work ethic from his teammates. Does he give his temmates crap, what is it?

The only thing he has in common with Jordan is that the both of them are assholes. This whole asshole thing is so overplayed that I can't understand it. Trump sprouts that being an asshole works. (he has filed bankrupty multiple times) The general population somehow thinks that being an asshole boss or CEO means shit gets done. It doesn't at least in the long term. What does Kobe being an asshole get him? People only hang around as long as they think they have a chance at winning a championship. Rice hated playing there. Shaq left and won a championship with the heat. Dwight, the best center in the league bailed. They have plenty of cap room and can't find anyone to sign with them. If you need to be an asshole to lead, you probably are very insecure. Kobe's shot selection is so jacked up that I have a hard time believing that he isn't incredibly insecure and needing everything to be about him. Why was he never benched this season for terrible play.

Now compare that to other teams. The Spurs have been running like clockwork for 15 years without any drama. The Hawks are tearing it up without any drama. Players go out of their way to try to play with Lebron wherever he is. Possibly, because he doesn't try or need to over shine his teammates. If he wanted to he could average 35+ a night. Is Durant somehow a lesser player in Oklahoma because he isn't an asshole even though he is much much better than Kobe ever was? Kobe never was as good as he ever thought he was and all he teammates were never as bad or useless as he would like to believe. KG dragged some pretty shit teams to the playoffs year after year in Minnesota and even had one 58 win season. What is Kobe's excuse?

Last edited:
Kobe will always be known for being a serial sexual assaulter and having to buy his wife's love.

kxEVucN.gif

LMAO not even the best version of GH Jaw can hold the One True's jock.

I've already used science to prove prime Wad > prime Kooby in the NBA Thread but I guess it wouldn't hurt to drop a little knowledge on the Gayberry Lounge

Top 5 PER seasons for each player, sorted:

Wade 08-09: 30.4
Wade 06-07: 28.9
Wade 09-10: 28.0

Kobe 05-06: 28.0
Wade 05-06: 27.6
Wade 11-12: 26.3

Kobe 02-03: 26.2
Kobe 06-07: 26.1
Kobe 00-01: 24.5
Kobe 08-09: 24.4

Top 5 WS/48 seasons for each player, sorted:

Wade 05-06: .239
Wade 08-09: .232
Wade 11-12: .227
Wade 09-10: .224

Kobe 05-06: .224
Wade 06-07: .219
Kobe 02-03: .210
Kobe 03-04: .210
Kobe 07-08: .208
Kobe 08-09: .206

images

EXPOSED

Some greats tear down in order to motivate, others build up. Maybe Kobe's a tear downer.

Anywho, I saw him at a coffee shop in Newport Beach one time. We talked for about five minutes while we waited for coffee. Really cool guy from my interaction with him.

I don't know why but its pretty telling that the THE LAKERS haven't been able to bring in top free agents in the past few years. Lebron said no, Melo said no, and Dwight dipped.

I have links to prove bean is a cuckold

Kobe's making life stressful for the Lakers.

Back