Knives- actually lethal as a general statement?

Dependd on the knife and where and how you are stabbing/slicing, I'd imagine.

you can easily die from a knife lol I grew up in the hood so I heard of maybe four people stabbed to death with regular folding knives people bought at a 99 cent store and many more come close to dieing you get stabbed anywhere in you torso or neck and the results are catastrophic even with really shitty knives.

I've lost two good friends to knife attacks & both were excellent fighters. One a heavyweight Golden Gloves champion & the other a world-rated professional welterweight. They were both killed because they both took a cavalier when confronted by a knife & they didn't respect the danger of the blade.

In the case of the heavyweight, Dave Friedman, he was sitting at home in Buffalo watching the George Foreman-Tommy Morrison fight & at some point, he got into a heated argument with his wife & she picked up a kitchen knife. And he made the mistake of laughing at her & sticking his chest out at her. So, in her rage, she took advantage of his stupidity & stuck the knife in his chest. Unfortunately, she hit him right in the aorta & he bled out on the kitchen floor.

The welterweight was Calvin "Pop" Porter of Niagara Falls & he got killed outside a corner store by someone he'd beaten up in a street fight earlier that day. When the guy came back for revenge carrying a butcher knife Porter didn't take him seriously & he wound up getting stabbed in the chest too. Some say he died right away while laying in the street but I learned later that he didn't die until he was in the ER.

The point of these stories is, of course, to never underestimate how lethal a bladed weapon can be. They can be deadly in anyone's hands & no matter what your skill level is or how tough you are you can be seriously injured or killed by an individual with a knife.
Spot on

I think it should be noted to never engage in a Knife versus Knife fight. You'll most likely both come out losers.

I've lost two good friends to knife attacks & both were excellent fighters. One a heavyweight Golden Gloves champion & the other a world-rated professional welterweight. They were both killed because they both took a cavalier when confronted by a knife & they didn't respect the danger of the blade.

In the case of the heavyweight, Dave Friedman, he was sitting at home in Buffalo watching the George Foreman-Tommy Morrison fight & at some point, he got into a heated argument with his wife & she picked up a kitchen knife. And he made the mistake of laughing at her & sticking his chest out at her. So, in her rage, she took advantage of his stupidity & stuck the knife in his chest. Unfortunately, she hit him right in the aorta & he bled out on the kitchen floor.

The welterweight was Calvin "Pop" Porter of Niagara Falls & he got killed outside a corner store by someone he'd beaten up in a street fight earlier that day. When the guy came back for revenge carrying a butcher knife Porter didn't take him seriously & he wound up getting stabbed in the chest too. Some say he died right away while laying in the street but I learned later that he didn't die until he was in the ER.

The point of these stories is, of course, to never underestimate how lethal a bladed weapon can be. They can be deadly in anyone's hands & no matter what your skill level is or how tough you are you can be seriously injured or killed by an individual with a knife.

Glad you posted those tragic stories because the OP post was one of the dumbest sounding things I have read.
Looking at some misleading stats should not detract from the extreme lethality of knives or lead to any kind of cavalier attitude.

People forget that no matter how big, tough or well trained you are the body is made of flesh and sharp metal is the achiles heel.

Reminds me that sometimes training and the fighter mindset can backfire like laughing at a woman pointing a blade at you thinking you have superpowers and getting involved in fights when you should walk away.

Glad you posted those tragic stories because the OP post was one of the dumbest sounding things I have read.
Looking at some misleading stats should not detract from the extreme lethality of knives or lead to any kind of cavalier attitude.

People forget that no matter how big, tough or well trained you are the body is made of flesh and sharp metal is the achiles heel.

Reminds me that sometimes training and the fighter mindset can backfire like laughing at a woman pointing a blade at you thinking you have superpowers and getting involved in fights when you should walk away.

I've seen one "tough guy" who got into a fight with a tiny little 55kg weakling. Who punched him in the stomach twice "tough guy" said "You hit like a bitch" punched the little guy and went to cross the road and collapsed. Turns out the little guy had punched him with a thin push dagger, about 2.5 inches long. That punch had perforated the guys Liver and torn an artery. Dude died on the street long before the ambulance got there.
In an age of guns people seem to have forgotten that a knife even an inch long can kill you. The person doesn't have to be trained to use the knife, they can slash wildly and nick an artery in the neck or sever a tendon.
But I agree people have a weird cavalier attitude towards street fighting and the possibility someone could have a knife and it only seems to get worse when they are trained in any form. They seem to think they're bullet proof and stab proof simply because they know krav maga or some boxing.

I bet a good part of why that stat is so low has to do with the type of knives being used. They’re probably mostly kitchen knives and pocket knives, which take some work to kill some one with. They probably aren’t good fixed blades designed for fighting.

Back