Knee Pad review... McDavid and Asics GEL.

Monkey Drive

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
This isn't as in depth of a review as I'd like, b/c I haven't rolled with these pads yet because just trying em on in my house and kneeling around, I feel like they won't get the job done, or provide the comfort that I'm looking for. (I've been training MT for a little over a year and a half without any braces or anything, but I just started training MMA as well and rolling/ putting pressure on my knee* is very uncomfortable. I had my ACL reconstructed about 3 years ago, so this is why I need something good to relieve the pressure/pain from being on my knees during class.)

1. 'Asics GEL Reversible knee pad'. My MMA coach recommended knee pads with GEL in em. (This is the only one I found.)
asics_zd700lycrakneepad_lrg.jpg

This pad felt good, the sizing was pretty accurate, although the top of the pad would get loose and create a gap when I would bend my knee back. Otherwise it stayed very snug around the knee and lower calf. The "GEL" in it feels kinda stiff, and when I kneeled down on the ground, it didn't really offer much relief. I still feel like it needs more padding, or the gel should be thicker or softer or something... Other than all that, the quality seems to be really nice, and it feels great, just not offering much in the knee cushioning area.

2. McDavid HexPad (knee/elbow) I've seen these on several websites, and they happen to be in the store I bought the Asics pad in, so I figured I'd try it too.
p3492403p275w.jpg

My knee may just be sensitive and the Asics GEL pad may be a good pad if you don't have knee problems or NEED the extra padding. BUT this "HexPad" is terrible. It feels so cheap and flimsy, and the "hex pads" or whatever they are feel like fancy styrofoam. I guess it's made for people who won't be rolling around, or on their knees for long periods of time, but it really feels like just a fashionable accesory rather than a "knee pad". Since these things are made for either you knee or elbow, I tried it on my elbow, and it actually felt alright, but I can;t imagine these ever being used as proper knee pads.

So all in all... I still need knee pads. I'm just buying up whatever I can find in stores and trying it out to see how comfortable it is when putting pressure on my knee. So if anyone has any brands, or anything they can suggest I'd be more than willing to check em out.

I've got the same issues ligament/cartilage issues so let us know if you find a good padded knee pad. I use Mueller's Hg80 because they breathe well but they're not padded on the knee. Actually dislocated my knee a few weeks ago ramming it into my training partner's knee while striking. Made me realize I need not only the lateral bars but also a padded knee cap.

I've got the same issues ligament/cartilage issues so let us know if you find a good padded knee pad. I use Mueller's Hg80 because they breathe well but they're not padded on the knee. Actually dislocated my knee a few weeks ago ramming it into my training partner's knee while striking. Made me realize I need not only the lateral bars but also a padded knee cap.

Will do.

I'm just looking for a wrestling style knee pad I can kneel on while rolling. When I find something I'll update this thread, since oddly, there aren't too many threads dealing with knee pads/braces.

*I'm extra cautious while striking... staying light on my left (bad) leg in a proper MT stance, and when we train strikes I don't go as hard with that knee. I'm not really sure what to do to help cartilage problems, but with ligament issues I'd definitly work/build up the corresponding muscles just for added protection. (ACL = quads, and PCL = hamstrings).

I wear the McDavid on my elbows and they are excellent. But for knees I think they were only designed for incidental contact and not full contact type use in wrestling.

I used the McDavid kneepads for about 2 weeks and then they started falling apart...did not seem up to the challenge of some hard core rolling. While I had them they were actually very comfortable and very low key which I like but I can't reccomend them.

i've used the velcro strap neoprene McDavid knee brace (without the hole for the patella) and it worked great during rolling after my MCL healed last year. Switched over to an elastic brace early last summer and I never roll with out it. Great brand, great products.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back