knee conditioning

Yodkhunsap

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Does anyone know of any ways to condition the knees? I've been training for a few years and my knees are still sensitive to heavy bag work. When I drive hard straight knees into it the next day they are bruised and sore. The only solution I've come up with is to not knee full power, but then whats the point? Any suggestions?

Does anyone know of any ways to condition the knees? I've been training for a few years and my knees are still sensitive to heavy bag work. When I drive hard straight knees into it the next day they are bruised and sore. The only solution I've come up with is to not knee full power, but then whats the point? Any suggestions?

You take a lot of aspirin, by any chance....?

Ummm... been doing it for years? Idk... I work knees on the bag a lot and don't have much trouble except once when I got tired and sloppy I must of messed up my technique. I don't know anyone with excessive bruising... do you bruise easily everywhere else too?

Doing knees on thai pads is better if you can get someone to work with you. That way you can really work the clinch.

blood flow to the knee is comparitively low. I'm surprised that you bruise as much as you say. keep doing it with correct technique.

Your hitting with the wrong part of the knee then! The term 'knee' is wrong anyway as you are making contact with the long bone of the thigh. It should be 'throwing femur's' but that sounds like animal cruelty.

I make contact with the medial (inner) end of the femur. Labelled here as the inner condyle no.6:
Femur.jpg

There is virtually no soft tissue to bruise here. If you make contact above this or toward the centreline of the thigh on the fleshier part then it will bruise.

Yeah I bruise pretty easily. Its not the bruising that concerns me though, it's that my knees still get sore. So I knee the bag hard on monday, they still hurt on wednesday. Aries, when you say you use the long end of the femur your talking about throwing side knees right? These arent the problem it's straight knees that hurt.

I had a similar problem training in Thailand,we worked so many elbows they became sensitive and sore
It was difficult to use them but after a while the pain stopped and so did the problem.
Keep using the knees and the problem will go away.

Yea, I was going to say that you are probably not using correct technique as well, but you said you had been training for 3 years.....

You DO NOT make contact with the knee itself. HELL NO that'll mess you up. The knee bone (patella) is a free floating bone held in by ligaments and tendons, has some smooth cartilage and fluid around it. You are striking with the area just above it.

If you look at an entire human skeleton you will notice that the end of the femur (thigh bone) just above the knee cap is a HUGE bone that looks like a club. Compared to the rest of the skeleton, it's the part you would take a look at and figure out fists, shins, and elbows, it looks most deadly... I'm guessing that you either have been throwing bad knees for 3 years or you have a medical problem and should see a Doc.

And yes, we ARE talking about straight knees. The knee cap is weak, it's like kicking with your foot instead of your shin.. BAD.

Yea, I was going to say that you are probably not using correct technique as well, but you said you had been training for 3 years.....

You DO NOT make contact with the knee itself. HELL NO that'll mess you up. The knee bone (patella) is a free floating bone held in by ligaments and tendons, has some smooth cartilage and fluid around it. You are striking with the area just above it.

If you look at an entire human skeleton you will notice that the end of the femur (thigh bone) just above the knee cap is a HUGE bone that looks like a club. Compared to the rest of the skeleton, it's the part you would take a look at and figure out fists, shins, and elbows, it looks most deadly... I'm guessing that you either have been throwing bad knees for 3 years or you have a medical problem and should see a Doc.

And yes, we ARE talking about straight knees. The knee cap is weak, it's like kicking with your foot instead of your shin.. BAD.

man I have the same problem, at the end with what part of the "knee" we should impact?

sounds like your hitting with the wrong part..

going to butcher this explanation with no picture as guidance.

Hit with the outside top part of the knee

Back