Klitschko-Tony Thompson

Discussion in 'Boxing Discussion' started by MeBig, Mar 27, 2008.

1. MeBig Brown Belt

From FIGHTNEWS:

"Thompson next for Klitschko!
    IBF/WBO/IBO heavyweight champion Wladimir Klitschko (50-3, 44 KOs) will next defend his world titles against WBO mandatory challenger Tony Thompson. "The fight will take place this July in Germany," Klitschko told BILD. The 6'5 Thompson is currently the top American hope in the heavyweight division with a record of 31-1 with 19 KOs. He has 27 straight wins and has been unbeaten for eight years. The winner of Klitschko-Thompson will have a mandatory due around the end of the year against IBF mandatory Alexander Povetkin (15-0, 11 KOs).
    Thursday, March 27 2008"

Thompson is a very good fighter....busy, skilled, has size and good movement. hasn't defeated anybody of consequence besides krasniqi (who is fringe contender)....but he was impressive in all his victories against top 40 guys. I guess if WBC's waiting for big Klit to decide wtf he's gonna do before they let Vlad fight and knock out Peter, and Valuev & Chagaev are tied up with each other.....who else is there for Vlad to fight that would pose a greater challenge/be more interesting?

2. Shizzy West Side Romo Wolf Pack

Wlad should just drop the belts and fight Peter.

3. MeBig Brown Belt

My boss should just say fuckitall n give me a raise.

4. MC Paul Barman Gold Belt Platinum Member

I didn't think that Klitschko would take this fight. Risky, and not many people know much about Thompson.

Interesting match up.

5. ssx Brown Belt

Honestly I'd give Thompson at least as good a chance of beating Wlad as Peter would have: Slim. And head to head, I'd take Thompson to beat Peter.

6. MeBig Brown Belt

That's what I was thinking...

7. bostonmma Gold Belt

Thompson has the skills but has never really been pushed, seems like a waste of talent so far, let's hope he brings it all this summer, if so Wlad could be in trouble

8. Too $hort Guest

its very good matchup on paper,tony is 6'5 and cleary can get inside on klitchko and as far I can tell he has pretty good pop,I think wlad is gonna get hit more than he normally does but I'm sure wlad will be well prepared

9. Diomedes Black Belt

I like this match up better than a fight with Povetkin (who doesn't pose a legitimate threat to Wlad) for Klitschko at this point in time. Although I think the article said the winner is fighting Povetkin anyway.

Here's to hoping it'll hold a little more action than the Ibragimov fight.