Kirkland Laing passed away.

Hagler

Man of wealth and taste
@Gold
Reaction score
Pour one out to the fellah, he’ll likely appreciate it.

For those who’re not familiar with him he was both a party animal and a fine technical English boxer who upset Roberto Duran in 82.

RIP The Gifted One.

talented guy, had some tough times from what a docu said.

Pour one out to the fellah, he’ll likely appreciate it.

For those who’re not familiar with him he was both a party animal and a fine technical English boxer who upset Roberto Duran in 82.

RIP The Gifted One.

I’m absolutely gutted! 1 of my all time favourites. Could’ve been a world champion if he didn’t love partying and women so much. Not even gonna say he was a wasted talent, as to me he was a joy to watch when on form

Rip champ

original

Sad news. We had some good welterweights then, with him, Colin Jones and Lloyd Honeyghan. Many thought Kirkland was the most talented.

Last edited:
His two fights with Colin Jones were classics & demonstrated just how good he could be as well as what his lack of proper discipline his training habits & his lapses in concentration cost him. In both fights, he outboxed Jones & was well ahead on points but then was KO'd in the 9th round.

But he'll always be remembered for that brilliant night he had in Detroit in September of '82 when he pulled his massive upset over Duran. May he rest in peace.

It would have certainly been interesting had Laing rededicated himself to boxing in pursuit of a world title after beating Duran. But instead, he took spent the vast majority of the following year celebrating in nightclubs & pubs apparently. Then, when he returned he wound up being KO'd by Freddy"The Pumper" Hutchings in Atlantic City in a rather dismal showing.

Laing was a brilliant boxer when he was "on" but his chin let him down on several occasions as did a propensity to get busted up over his eyes. He was stopped inside the distance in eight of his dozen losses.

Back