kip brockett " the jkd lead punch" book

hagler7

White Belt
Reaction score
i dont know if this is the wrong forum but hell here goes anyway , does anyone own a copy of this e-book "THE JKD LEAD PUNCH" by kip brockett and if so is it worth buying. cheers

i dont know if this is the wrong forum but hell here goes anyway , does anyone own a copy of this e-book "THE JKD LEAD PUNCH" by kip brockett and if so is it worth buying. cheers

A lot of JKD is Bullshido. A strong side lead has pro and cons but you definitely don't need some book written by a kung fu guy to teach you how to throw a muthafuggin jab. I personally think that strong side lead doesns't work well for most fighters.

The original JKD lead punch was taught with the vertical fist which is dumb. you lose out on the snap you get from wrist twist and you increase your chances of landing on the 5th m*etacarpal which causes broken hands.

Go to a boxing or MT gym. Don't by this craptastic book. Just my 2 cents.

i practise jkd and the way i am getting taught is the last 3 knuckles on impact. i practise a lot of finger and knuckle push ups just condition my hands also,cheers for advice

i practise jkd and the way i am getting taught is the last 3 knuckles on impact. i practise a lot of finger and knuckle push ups just condition my hands also,cheers for advice

Are they teaching you to throw it so when it lands your palm is facing out (vertical fist) or down (horizontal fist)?

palm facing out , i had a problem with this at 1st with me coming from a boxing background , but now i am getting the hang of it , i practise on a tea-towel on the washing line for speed and accurecy

palm facing out , i had a problem with this at 1st with me coming from a boxing background , but now i am getting the hang of it , i practise on a tea-towel on the washing line for speed and accurecy

Why did you switch from boxing to JKD? Just curious.

i boxed 18 year ago then dabbled coaching and helping around the gym but wanted a new challenge so 2 years 2months ago i took up jkd ( best thing i ever did loved it from day 1 )

Hmm Interesting story I had a friend who left Muay Thai infavour of Tai Chi, I guess actual combat and the best self defense is not the defining factor on which art to take with some people. It's never a really good idea to lean forward when punching but I probably don't understand what your doing.

If you like JKD and this guy is big in that world then it might be worth u getting the book, You can probs download it for free off Limewire or Bearshare or something anyway.

Hmm Interesting story I had a friend who left Muay Thai infavour of Tai Chi, I guess actual combat and the best self defense is not the defining factor on which art to take with some people. It's never a really good idea to lean forward when punching but I probably don't understand what your doing.

If you like JKD and this guy is big in that world then it might be worth u getting the book, You can probs download it for free off Limewire or Bearshare or something anyway.

cheers for input

Am a "JKD" guy (whatever that is), FWIW. Have been taught both ways, by different camps (OJKD/"concepts"). At the end of the day, I doubt that in fighting, sport or not, it's probably not going to make as much a difference if your fist is vertical or angled when doing a jab. Also don't think that nerding out on one way or the other is going to help as much as working on another relevant skill: sweeps, use of tools, sprawls, defense of GnP etc. If you've already got a pretty broad and relevant foundation, cool.

I tend to have my fist vertical, incidentally. In part because of comfort, in part because it more readily allows me the use of other tools, in part because I feel like my jab gets through the other persons' defenses more often. Would advocate that your concern matters more with a cross, when body mechanics seem to more substantially dictate having your fist horizontal. Don't think that's as much a concern with a jab.

i boxed 18 year ago then dabbled coaching and helping around the gym but wanted a new challenge so 2 years 2months ago i took up jkd ( best thing i ever did loved it from day 1 )

If you are having fun and thats all you are looking for then more power to you.

Any form of TMA can give you some exercise, social interaction and be a fun hobby and there's nothing wrong with that. I don't personally think JKD works well for combat or competition but if that isn't what you are looking for, why not go for it.

I love boxing, which is simple and effective, but you rarely get the same kind of camraderie and fun atmosphere in a boxing gym as you do at a good TMA dojo.

have you been in boxing bouts ? , its good to see a good mixture especially putting judo in the mix, are you u.k. or u.s

have you been in boxing bouts ? , its good to see a good mixture especially putting judo in the mix, are you u.k. or u.s

U.S.

At almost aged 40 I am too damn old to fight sanctioned amatuer around here but still fight in smokers. There's no a real active USA Boxing Masters in my area. There is more on the East Coast but mostly HW, LHW and CW. Older guys seem to hate to cut weight...

Back