Kimura Concepts

masada555

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
Avellan's Kimura Lockdown:

Popovich - This Arm is Mine:

Kid Peligro - similar attack (starts at 4:00):

There was also a cool Vitor Estima kimura from the z-guard video, but it's marked as "private" now.

There's also Marcus Soares's Kimura from Open Guard.

I almost always finish my kimuras with this "lockdown-style" concept now, especially from the top - rather than finish the north-south kimura on top, I'll just throw my leg over onto their hip and to get the lockdown position, where there's a real threat of submission (or they roll into an armbar). It's quickly become my highest percentage submission including against higher-ranks and heavier folks. I also feel like I'm starting to see this attack everywhere. If you haven't tried it, you should!

Some other cool kimura stuff:

Keenan's advanced kimura sweep. I haven't been able to get this to work yet, but I'm gonna keep on trying:

Mendes Bros fun with reverse kimura grip:

Roy Dean Kimura White to Black:

I'll try to continue to add cool stuff to this thread...

Last edited:
Just posting so I can view this thread later.

The kimura is my go to move and I threaten with it no matter the position. Like you said, it's an attack one can see everywhere.

In!

Ive made it my duty to only go for kimuras in class for the time being, I have relied on leg locks too much and while they are my bread and butter I want to branch out to upper body subs

it's my only attack, either as a submission or to set up a sweep
especially from bottom half-guard
my teammates hate me because of the kimura :D

EDIT: this one

[YT]bahC1rxl4U0[/YT]

also this video helped me a LOT to "hunt" for the kimura whenever i can

Last edited:
it's my only attack, either as a submission or to set up a sweep
especially from bottom half-guard
my teammates hate me because of the kimura :D

EDIT: this one

[YT]bahC1rxl4U0[/YT]

also this video helped me a LOT to "hunt" for the kimura whenever i can

First video doesn't show for me.

My move.
[YT]agkacDyqMXo[/YT]

For me, my "trigger" is simply this: if I can see the back of your hand (it's facing towards me), I attack with a kimura. Why? If the back of the hand is facing me, I KNOW the elbow is pointing outwards, opening for the figure four. I also use while someone is on my back and use it to escape/reverse:

[YT]rd8BmWIrVVw&feature=youtu.be[/YT]

Last edited:
Killer concepts and tips by Robert Drysdale in this video.

i have been meaning to work on something similar to that Pablo clip for a while. Saw Xande do the same set up but finish will juji roll... interesting...

Some outstanding clips here, tho I hate to see Avellan get any press.

That Pablo setup is my number one favorite submission from guard. HIGHLY recommended. I counter guard passes like crazy with this ... a simple inversion and you are in. It's an infuriating guard pass counter, just make sure you aren't lazy and let the guy legdrag to your back.

Worst referee of all time at 0:49… Nice move though!

LOL, I didn't even know my opponent was tapping there, as the ref didn't even move, or say anything, or react in any way; I only let go because I heard my coach celebrating lol. But thank you!

My move.
[YT]agkacDyqMXo[/YT]

For me, my "trigger" is simply this: if I can see the back of your hand (it's facing towards me), I attack with a kimura. Why? If the back of the hand is facing me, I KNOW the elbow is pointing outwards, opening for the figure four. I also use while someone is on my back and use it to escape/reverse:

[YT]rd8BmWIrVVw&feature=youtu.be[/YT]

Awesome work man! :D

Been playing with the Kimura a lot these days. One of my favourite moves.

Just wanted to add that the "bicep ride" is very good for setting up kimuras (as well as for defending passes):

Notice that the bicep ride forces a bend in the elbow - which is pretty much all you need for the kimura! From the bicep ride you simply kick your leg straight and replace it with the overhooking arm. Boom!

I think I will bookmark this for later.

Back