Kickboxing with sore muscles

Mike32110

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys, I used to lift weights (until i started mma) and was always told to wait until a muscle doesn't hurt at all before exercising that muscle again. I noticed that ANY time I have a kickboxing class, my lats/obliques are pretty sore for like 2 days after. My logic tells me to not go on those days, but that really seems to restrict the amount of time I train. I understand that the recovery time should get shorter as my muscles get less shocked by the workouts, but what do you guys recomend in the meantime? I was always told that working out a sore muscle actually does more damage than good.

I try to alternate between BJJ and kickboxing to minimize this, but it doesn't always work with my schedule.

Any advice guys? My class starts in 2 hours :p.

These pains are DOMS, as long as you don't feel weak, just sore I say train. You may find, as I do that the soreness goes shortly after you warm up and start training, shouldn't do you any damage.....

..........If it does, sorry.

You are just newbie. Go out and hit the gym.Or you wanna become better in sitting home and crying over it on some lame forum?

Having started not too long ago myself, I understand what you are getting at here. The key, in my opinion, it to be able to differentiate sore and hurt. If a muscle is just tight/sore then train, if it feels like something is wrong or hurts then give it a rest for a few days

When I started, I sometimes took days off if I had actual pain, but I tried not to let soreness keep me away from class. Now I don't get sore anymore (usually).

once you get into the middle of a class you won't feel it anymore

what would this guy advise you?

wanditraining.jpg

These pains are DOMS, as long as you don't feel weak, just sore I say train. You may find, as I do that the soreness goes shortly after you warm up and start training, shouldn't do you any damage.....

..........If it does, sorry.

+1 IF you are sore, just suck it up and go at it. You said your legs are hurting the most from the kickboxing and that's perfectly normal. If they aren't sore after a good session, you aren't trying hard enough :cool:.

I was sore for the first month or so of starting muay thai. now the only thing that hurts is kicking someone's shin with mine(with pads on) or the occassional shitty kick I throw and get my ankle caught on an elbow or a hip.

Now, if you are truly hurt, as in limping, can barely walk type of stuff, then rest a few days.

i played football long before i started mma and whenever i was in pain i just used the football mentality of, unless your paralyzed get your ass out there

+1 IF you are sore, just suck it up and go at it. You said your legs are hurting the most from the kickboxing and that's perfectly normal. If they aren't sore after a good session, you aren't trying hard enough :cool:.

I was sore for the first month or so of starting muay thai. now the only thing that hurts is kicking someone's shin with mine(with pads on) or the occassional shitty kick I throw and get my ankle caught on an elbow or a hip.

Now, if you are truly hurt, as in limping, can barely walk type of stuff, then rest a few days.

Well I didn't get to the post in time and ended up not going :(. I will, however, not let sore muscles deter me from the future. I guess, at the very least, I can use less power and focus on technique more.

I appreciate all the input.

Don't hurt yourself, but I noticed a dramatic improvement when I started training 5x a week compared to just 3. Generally, gyms will work on certain things for a stretch of time, and the more time you spend learning that thing, the more proficient you'll become. Before I hurt my knee recently, I was doing jits 5x a week, and boxing on wed/ fri afterwards; you just have to be sure to pace yourself well and know your limits.

Being sore is a natural part of training, but since kickboxing/ grappling are full body workouts, it's not like youre exacerbating your muscles. It's likely that your lats are sore from holding your hands up/ punching, and your obliques because kickboxing is very much involved with your core. Go as much as you can without hurting yourself, and you'll build up endurance.

Hey guys, I used to lift weights (until i started mma) and was always told to wait until a muscle doesn't hurt at all before exercising that muscle again. I noticed that ANY time I have a kickboxing class, my lats/obliques are pretty sore for like 2 days after. My logic tells me to not go on those days, but that really seems to restrict the amount of time I train. I understand that the recovery time should get shorter as my muscles get less shocked by the workouts, but what do you guys recomend in the meantime? I was always told that working out a sore muscle actually does more damage than good.

I try to alternate between BJJ and kickboxing to minimize this, but it doesn't always work with my schedule.

Have you ever heard of the term No Pain No Gain? Also works with sparring or training. You work your muscles until tolerance to pain will get better...

u gay?

Stretch like crazy. Kickboxing forces you to move in ways at speeds and frequency you are not used to moving in. There ar enot only the majoy muscles in play but stabilizers, etc. If you have played sports you know all this. a lot of guys will tell you to grin an bare it because the truth is that if you start training regularly you will usually be in some sort of discomfort. Stretch and ice before and after training and try to eat and hyrdrate properly. If this still doesnt do it perhaps you can try and do excercises which build up that area ond days off. I had to do some rehab on my back and found that by simply using those stupid rehab excercises that use no weight and their streches it actually made a huge difference on top of my usual training. If that is still does not help perhaps it is something more than just soreness

Don't hurt yourself, but I noticed a dramatic improvement when I started training 5x a week compared to just 3. Generally, gyms will work on certain things for a stretch of time, and the more time you spend learning that thing, the more proficient you'll become. Before I hurt my knee recently, I was doing jits 5x a week, and boxing on wed/ fri afterwards; you just have to be sure to pace yourself well and know your limits.

Being sore is a natural part of training, but since kickboxing/ grappling are full body workouts, it's not like youre exacerbating your muscles. It's likely that your lats are sore from holding your hands up/ punching, and your obliques because kickboxing is very much involved with your core. Go as much as you can without hurting yourself, and you'll build up endurance.

very true.

Back