Kick boxing vs Muay Thai

Gai Jin

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
How are they different and alike? I know that MT uses elbows, knees and the clinch and KB doesn't (not sure about knees). I'm particularly curious about stance, footwork and over all effectiveness.

Thanks.

Kick boxing was "i beleive created" in America "i beleive" by combining boxing with full contact Karate. ( dont quote me though)

Mui thai is a thraditional combat MA from Thailand.
Its a stand up MA that uses kicks knees and elbowsand traditionally boxing was not a big thing but the assimulated it into there style after seeing its effectve use by the Western Boxers.
It is a brutally effective form of MA that is proven in the ring and thus the training is orientated around ring fighting.

Kickboxing is very similar to Mui thai however the stances are a bit diffrent. Strictly speaking a Mui Thai practitioner stands in a squared off stance with both hand raised in front with the knuckles facing the fighters face and the forearms facing towards teh opponent. Kick boxes strictly speaking will use a boxers stance.

Also Mui Thai enfassises on leg kicks and the use of elbows and Knees from the clinch for close combat where kick boxers prefer to keep a "medium" distance and finish an opponent with there fists.

Mui Thai enfasises kicking with the shin i know kick boxing has no real rule or enfasis on how it kicks although i think kickboxing strictly speacking likes to use foot and the junction of the foot with the shin to kick with for added reach more in line with TKD or Karate.

*Disclaimer some of my facts might be incorrect feel free to correct me hehe :)

O real quick as well. B/c Mui Thai is a TMA there is some ritual involved like bowing and i believe some type of ritualistic dance that fighters perform b4 combat and i think traditionally there is some kata ( like the dance b4 combat) as well but not sure about the last part.

Kickboxing started out as a combination of boxing and Karate...but after a number of early pioneers lost to the Thais, most kickboxers use Muay Thai and western boxing techniques. Muay Thai elbows and the whole clinch game in Muay Thai is normally not used in kickboxing because of the rules.

Stav, Muay Thai does not have any katas...the wai kru (ritual dance before a fight) is a show of respect to the trainers.

stav said:
O real quick as well. B/c Mui Thai is a TMA there is some ritual involved like bowing and i believe some type of ritualistic dance that fighters perform b4 combat and i think traditionally there is some kata ( like the dance b4 combat) as well but not sure about the last part.

I think you are referring to the Wai Kru, the muay thai fighter bows to the corner to give thanks and honor the people that came before. He then does his ceremonial dance which first gives thanks and honor to mother, father and teacher then his style of muay thai. As for the stances, I have no idea. I start off in a L position left foot pointed straight to opponent and right leg back and angles away for the muay thai kick. I keep my left arm up and angled and my right close to my jawline and ear. I am taught to use my shin, knees and elbows for everything from blocks / defense to offense and attacks. I don't know what kickboxers use.

Back