Kharitonov explains reasons for not signing with the UFC

MMALOPEZ

Titanium Belt
@Titanium
Reaction score
"As for me, I am 35 years old, I am no longer a young athlete. If I sign a contract with the UFC, they will give me one fight a year. And now, in the previous two years, I've had almost seven bouts. Therefore, I believe that I chose the right position. I stand where I want and where I am given the opportunity. I fight at the same time with worthy men."

However, Kharitonov, who holds a win over current UFC champion Fabricio Werdum, is still interested in a rematch against the Brazilian.

"If I get an invitation, I would love to fight with Werdum again."

Asked what sort of contract would tempt Kharitonov to join the UFC roster, Kharitonov revealed that he wanted to remain active and work his way towards a title shot within the year.

"I would want a contract for one year with three fights, which provided I win the first two, grants me a title fight."

"As for me, I am 35 years old, I am no longer a young athlete. If I sign a contract with the UFC, they will give me one fight a year. And now, in the previous two years, I've had almost seven bouts. Therefore, I believe that I chose the right position. I stand where I want and where I am given the opportunity. I fight at the same time with worthy men."

However, Kharitonov, who holds a win over current UFC champion Fabricio Werdum, is still interested in a rematch against the Brazilian.

"If I get an invitation, I would love to fight with Werdum again."

Asked what sort of contract would tempt Kharitonov to join the UFC roster, Kharitonov revealed that he wanted to remain active and work his way towards a title shot within the year.

"I would want a contract for one year with three fights, which provided I win the first two, grants me a title fight."

If that's all he requires UFC should set it up. Not unreasonable at all in a year and the division could use a "fresh" contender.

If that's all he requires UFC should set it up. Not unreasonable at all in a year and the division could use a "fresh" contender.

I don't know how true it is but someone posted that UFC fighters have it in their contract to fight three times a year. So the UFC has to offer them three fights whether they take it or not is up to them. Like I said though I don't know how true that is.

"As for me, I am 35 years old, I am no longer a young athlete. If I sign a contract with the UFC, they will give me one fight a year.

M-1 also gave him one fight this year. In the UFC he would fight more most likely.

Even in M-1 he could not get this, not even fighting a contender after two wins.

I don't know how true it is but someone posted that UFC fighters have it in their contract to fight three times a year. So the UFC has to offer them three fights whether they take it or not is up to them. Like I said though I don't know how true that is.

I can't recall where the story came from, but I also recall reading this as a quote from Joe Silva, I believe.

He was discussing his job, and mentioned that they have to offer guys 3 fights a year, and then it's on the fighters as to whether they accept it. Trying to recall the story, but the last time I remember Joe Silva saying anything to the press was on the Demarques Johnson situation, although I can't say if that was when I read that...

Anyways, while it's nice to hear that Sergei isn't necessarily closing the door to the UFC. The odds of him signing now, at this late stage, were already low, and for the most part, the article reads like he's pretty much content with where he's at.

I'm not buying it.

M-1 also gave him one fight this year. In the UFC he would fight more most likely.

Even in M-1 he could not get this, not even fighting a contender after two wins.

At the latest M-1 event ring announcer said that Kharitonov scheduled to fight at October event.

umm.... Kharitonov has had precisely 1 MMA fight in 2015, and zero kickboxing fights.

what the fuck is he talking about?

He priced himself out of UFC and Bellator contracts in the past, thing is Glory cant pay guys shit but if Bellator gave him decent contract and let him do whatever he wanted outside Bellator he might sign now.

UFC isnt happening, they arent letting him fight in other orgs/kickboxing and he's not worth a big contract to them, he's also not gonna accept a small exclusive deal.

Wins over AA, Werdum, and Overeem....It would be a dream to see him in UFC. But if he finished out his career in Bellator I'd be happy too.

As a free agent Sergei can fight wherever he wants, WHENEVER he wants. You really think he would give all of that up to go fight in the UFC for chump change? He also likes alternating between MMA, and Kickboxing... He wouldn't be able to do that if he signed with the UFC. Bellator might be an option down the line because he would still be able to fight in Glory, or anywhere else for that matter while on their roster.

umm.... Kharitonov has had precisely 1 MMA fight in 2015, and zero kickboxing fights.

what the fuck is he talking about?

Well, if he really said it, then I assume he is talking about having the choice, whether or not he takes the option.

I'm so sick of hearing about Sergei. Dude is fat and struggled with Tyler East and Garner before finishing them. UFC isn't missing anything not having him on the roster.

He gave a very good argument for a UFC contract. He is making money now so he can afford to chase a title in the UFC. Smart guy. My 2 cents

Back