Khamzat reminds me a lot of Chandler (Thank you for long read)

LoveSherdogThisTime

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
Khamzat is undoubtedly a rare talent. While we often group him with the Dagestani fighters like Khabib and Islam, in my eyes, there's no comparison. Khamzat's raw talent surpasses all of them. The way he manhandles his opponents is like something out of WWE. For me, the most scary thing Khamzat does is when he drags his opponents around. He did it to Burns from behind and he did it to Phillips while he was on top of him. So it's no surprise that I was shocked when I saw him knock Meerschaert out with just one punch. That's the moment I realized, Khamzat has all the talents to be as dominant as Jon Jones. But...

he also reminds me a lot of Michael Chandler. Like Chimaev, Chandler has all the raw talents to be a champion. This is a guy who used to German suplex his opponents. We constantly see him manhandling his opponents, though doing so often backfires on him. And that's just one aspect of his game. Chandler has one of the quickest and most powerful hands in the division. But like Chimaev, Chandler is an emotional fighter who not only can't control his pace but also lack persistence. To put it simply, they are reckless and unrelanting but are prone to giving up on a gameplay when it's doesn't work the first or second time.

Even though I think Usman is heading toward the end of his career, he remains a dangerous opponent for Khamzat. In fact, he is the one who reminds me of Jon. I always touted Jon as the most comfortable striker that I've ever seen. For a while, Usman was the only one who came close to that, although without Jon's versatility. If this fight happened two years ago, I think Usman would have either finished Khamzat or win a dominant decision. But now it's 50/50. Regardless though, Khamzat needs to be careful otherwise, his career will resemble that of Chandler's. I'm not shitting on Chandler. In fact, I always feel he is under appreciated because he couldn't win the UFC belt.

They aren't even remotely similar.

Fair points, but I think we need to see Khamzat against more elite opposition before we can safely say he is more talented than Khabib/Islam etc.
Some of his early fights were impressive, but can he do it consistently against the top 5-10?
Only time will tell

Both have the IQ of a rock, in that they are similar.

If Chandler's only fight was the Hooker fight,maybe.

Chandler has actually fought many guys who are elite in their division and has a large laundry list of FOTY matches which is contrast to Khazmat...who hasn't fought anyone worth remembering at MW.

So, not all that similar.

Khamzat is undoubtedly a rare talent. While we often group him with the Dagestani fighters like Khabib and Islam, in my eyes, there's no comparison. Khamzat's raw talent surpasses all of them. The way he manhandles his opponents is like something out of WWE. For me, the most scary thing Khamzat does is when he drags his opponents around. He did it to Burns from behind and he did it to Phillips while he was on top of him. So it's no surprise that I was shocked when I saw him knock Meerschaert out with just one punch. That's the moment I realized, Khamzat has all the talents to be as dominant as Jon Jones. But...

he also reminds me a lot of Michael Chandler. Like Chimaev, Chandler has all the raw talents to be a champion. This is a guy who used to German suplex his opponents. We constantly see him manhandling his opponents, though doing so often backfires on him. And that's just one aspect of his game. Chandler has one of the quickest and most powerful hands in the division. But like Chimaev, Chandler is an emotional fighter who not only can't control his pace but also lack persistence. To put it simply, they are reckless and unrelanting but are prone to giving up on a gameplay when it's doesn't work the first or second time.

Even though I think Usman is heading toward the end of his career, he remains a dangerous opponent for Khamzat. In fact, he is the one who reminds me of Jon. I always touted Jon as the most comfortable striker that I've ever seen. For a while, Usman was the only one who came close to that, although without Jon's versatility. If this fight happened two years ago, I think Usman would have either finished Khamzat or win a dominant decision. But now it's 50/50. Regardless though, Khamzat needs to be careful otherwise, his career will resemble that of Chandler's. I'm not shitting on Chandler. In fact, I always feel he is under appreciated because he couldn't win the UFC belt.
The oddest thing about Chandler was that in the middle of his prime, when he was 29 years old, the one fighter he couldn't beat was Will Brooks, who went 1-4 in the UFC and proved to be a talented but very inconsistent fighter as well. I feel certain that if Chandler was in the UFC at that time (2014), when Tony, Khabib, RDA, Poirier, Conor, Pettis etc. were in their primes, he would've had some losses as well...and some great fights. I wonder if there will be a "Will Brooks" for Khamzat?

As for the Jones comparison, the biggest hole I see is that Khamzat shied away from the ground with Burns, while Jones happily went to the ground with anyone, including BJJ black belts, and often submitted or pounded out guys with much better BJJ/submission credentials than he had. Part of that was his very effective MMA wrestling. Another part were his freakishly long limbs that he used very well for leverage and control.

Last edited:
Makes me throw up in my mouth to speak praise on Khamzat. But he is a phenomenal talent. He doesnt appear to be the athletic freak that Chandler is. He is made up with technique and an air of confidence to deliver the performances he has. And as far as Jones... dont even.

Both have the IQ of a rock, in that they are similar.
Excuse me?

You are saying Chandler is not intelligent?

I’m wondering what a person’s motive is when they make such a ridiculous statement?

He majored in personal finance management

I’m here to tell you that every move he has made since coming to the UFC.. is 100% about personal finance mgmt.

200w.gif

They both sniff farts like this dude.....
smell-what-the-rock-is-cookin-the-rock.gif

Besides that, they are very different.

The oddest thing about Chandler was that in the middle of his prime, when he was 29 years old, the one fighter he couldn't beat was Will Brooks, who went 1-4 in the UFC and proved to be a talented but very inconsistent fighter as well. I feel certain that if Chandler was in the UFC at that time (2014), when Tony, Khabib, RDA, Poirier, Conor, Pettis etc. were in their primes, he would've had some losses as well...and some great fights. I wonder if there will be a "Will Brooks" for Khamzat?

As for the Jones comparison, the biggest hole I see is that Khamzat shied away from the ground with Burns, while Jones happily went to the ground with anyone, including BJJ black belts, and often submitted or pounded out guys with much better BJJ/submission credentials than he had. Part of that was his very effective MMA wrestling. Another part were his freakishly long limbs that he used very well for leverage and control.
Makes me throw up in my mouth to speak praise on Khamzat. But he is a phenomenal talent. He doesnt appear to be the athletic freak that Chandler is. He is made up with technique and an air of confidence to deliver the performances he has. And as far as Jones... dont even.
Guys I really didn't mean it like that. I was just saying if we are looking at raw talent and skill sets, Khamzat has the potential to become one of the most dominant champions.

In my eyes, the fighter who came closest to Jones in my opinion was actually Usman. I keep repeating this phrase but Jones is the most comfortable fighter that I have ever seen in my life. There is just something very reliable and comforting about his striking. The only one who came close to it was Usman but he lacks the versatility. I had a slightly similar feeling with Tony Ferguson at one point in his career. That's it though. I never got that from my favorite fighters Stipe or Whittaker. Not even Volk or Fedor.

The answer is Will Brooks never lost to a shorter fighter. He looks at short guys and sees prey. Ole Channy is listed as 5'8. Probably with big boots on.
All of Brooks' losses were to guys listed 5'10. He's 5'11 per sherdog, but that seems like a great exaggeration.

Excuse me?

You are saying Chandler is not intelligent?

You can get fucked if you think otherwise templeofthedog bro.

<36>

Yes. His gladiator Schtik is one of the most dumb ways to fight.

I don't care about his personal life as this is not a soap opera.

Chandler showed some craftiness.

Chimaev solved everything with violence, agression and physical strength.

Chimaev did not show championship guile yet too.

We just need a real test for Khamzat. The "low IQ" thing has been tossed around like he's braindead, when really he avoided the ground game and baited Burns into a standup fight. Which is actually good gameplan and adjustment. We've waited since and he has destroyed anyone lower with a quick finish.

I think Khamzat lacked confidence in dealing with Burns on the ground based on that Khamzat's BJJ coach has had competitive BJJ matches with Burns. And I'm guessing Khamzats BJJ coach wraps him up like a pretzel on the reg in BJJ sparring.

Reactions: mkt

No, the closest ufc active fighter to khamzat is Alexander Romanov.

Back