• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Khamzat Chimaev Has Promised His Mother to Retire From MMA After Becoming a “Legit Champion

Does anyone even actually fight these days, they are retired before they even get started these days. 98% talking and 2% actual fights . You know this @Only Here for Attachments , I know you are tired of it, so much talking and constant interviews and very little actual fighting

Is Khamzat Chimaev set to retire earlier than expected due to a promise that he made to his mother?

Chimaev is only 27-years old and he is very new to the sport. He has only had 4 fights in the UFC and is about to fight Gilbert Burns in a crucial match that will potentially determine who the next title contender will be at welterweight.

With a win this Saturday on UFC 273, it is almost a foregone conclusion that Chimaev will fight the winner between Kamaru Usman vs Leon Edwards. The Swedish fighter is currently the most talked-about fighter in UFC. Former UFC double champ Daniel Cormier called him ‘the scariest contender‘ at 170lbs.

However, it seems as if Chimaev’s potential reign at the top will be a relatively short one. During a recent interview, Khamzat added that he wants to get out of the sport as soon as he feels that he is the undisputed no 1. The Borz said,

hqdefault.jpg

“My mother thinks I become a champion after each fight I win. I did promise I will retire when I become a legit champion. So my goal is to be no. 1 and then I will retire.”

Will Khamzat Chimaev follow the footsteps of Khabib Nurmagomedov?

The undefeated former UFC lightweight fighter and Hall of Famer Khabib Nurmagomedov walked away at the height of his powers in 2020 after beating Justin Gaethje at UFC 254 because of a promise that he made to his mother. Will Khamzat Chimaev follow the same path as Khabib Nurmagomedov?

hqdefault.jpg

Unlike Khabib, Khamzat is not a champion yet. However, he is certainly just a step away from fighting for the welterweight strap. Hence, retirement does not seem imminent. Even if he does become a champion, Chimaev will look to defend it as a fighter only becomes the true champion when they defend their title.

The consensus 170lbs GOAT Georges St-Pierre has 9 title defences and current champion Kamaru Usman is right behind him with 5. Hence, Chimaev’s quest to become the ‘no. 1’ will most likely take a few more years. As a result, fans can rest easy because Chimaev has a good 5 years left before talks of retirement come up again.

https://www.sportsmanor.com/ufc-new...ire-from-mma-after-becoming-a-legit-champion/
Paolo Costa was the scariest contender too until he more up in competition.

Does anyone even actually fight these days, they are retired before they even get started these days. 98% talking and 2% actual fights . You know this @Only Here for Attachments , I know you are tired of it, so much talking and constant interviews and very little actual fighting

At least Khamzat has a fight booked. These other Twitter warriors who haven’t signed anything yet can jump in a lake

Where are all the people where I said Tom's Fathers opinion can be a weakness mentally? Mother's don't want to see their children hurt and many Mother's ask their children to retire. Just surprised the Wolf would agree to such terms. Esp when he has a chance to become something special.
If I am not mistaken he said that he doesn’t like mma/hurting people and is fighting because it brings food to his table, so not surprised.

If I am not mistaken he said that he doesn’t like mma/hurting people and is fighting because it brings food to his table, so not surprised.
Are you talking about the same Chimaev who wants to kill and smash everybody or am I missing something?

Are you talking about the same Chimaev who wants to kill and smash everybody or am I missing something?
Yeah, same Chimaev who said that he didn’t land a finishing punch on Aliskerov because he imagined if he was in Aliskerov’s place and someone landed unnecessary punch and his mom saw that she wouldn’t feel herself good.

He sure does seem to not have any issues with hurting people though. He literally has a reputation for being a bad sparring partner that hurts people regardless if they are amateurs with barely any experience or high level fighters.

Yeah, same Chimaev who said that he didn’t land a finishing punch on Aliskerov because he imagined if he was in Aliskerov’s place and someone landed unnecessary punch and his mom saw that she wouldn’t feel herself good.

He most certainly landed the last punch

Khamzat's career is so fucked. I still think he wins his next 2 fights which are going to be #1 contender and title shot.

OK cool so now we know we don't want him fighting for the title. Another person who wants to achieve it and never defend because they promised mommy.

Fighter declares will retire early.

Mong fans lap it up, forgetting that nearly every fighter says the same nonsense and with only a couple of rare exceptions, they turn out to be full of shit.

Rinse. Repeat.

Back