• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Khamzat being "green"

TS are ok?

you are comparing a fighter who lost (Gane) to a fighter who won (khazmat) and saying why didn’t the loser get similar respect?

for one be lost and secondly he doesn’t have the generational skill set the other has
mmmm wow. That's a big leap for a wizened dog like ye

Last edited:
It's in the way he fought. Never took his head off the center line, brawled with sloppy looking lead uppercut. He needs to refine his striking and defense. His wrestling is legit but he didn't really use it and as a result we saw holes in his striking.
Agree. Just the repetitive reference to his being THAT "green" is all I'm musing about

He has 8 years of fighting experience. It's almost 1/3 of his life. Even someone like Big Frank is sort of new to MMA.
And Khamzat started combat sports (for wrestling is) at 5 years old.

maybe gane "had" fans because people admired the way he fights?
Yah, I like Gane for the way he fights - a generationally rare big man in the way he moves, the Tyson Fury of the UFC in a way. He is truly one of a kind. I like Ngannou too. Perhaps some root for Gane as they are rooting against Francis and for the pink goof to exact his revenge, but not I.

And Khamzat started combat sports (for wrestling is) at 5 years old.
Let's be honest. That isn't fighting. That is like BJJ guys saying they have a fight when they are going to a grappling tournament. I get what you are saying but these two guys conduct themselves differently in the cage. Maybe it is the total accumulated fight time but it's clear one person is way more capable of following a gameplan and directions.

Let's be honest. That isn't fighting. That is like BJJ guys saying they have a fight when they are going to a grappling tournament.
Still not a bad thing to have prior to MMA, no?
But yeah I'm not really putting down Khamzat or anything.
Just the endless references to his being a tyke in this whole thing.
He's not. Though his fight IQ can certainly need some growing up.

I see all this talk of Khamzat being "green" after a less-than-stellar win over the number 2 guy in Burns.
I like Khamzat, and that win checked some questions regarding his heart, will to win, and recovery.
However, nobody was talking about CYRIL GANE being "green" after he lost to Ngannou. He also lost for the first time in his career after only his 11th PRO fight. Like Khamzat, Gane started MMA rather late, at 24. However, he had no combat sports experience at all prior to MMA, having focused mainly on soccer and basketball.
Khamzat, meanwhile, actually wrestled for years prior to MMA, giving him a great base for the latter sport.

Not hating here. Like I said, Khamzat has made a fan out of me. Just finding all this "green" talk ludicrous. Not even his coaches and team harp on this as much.
There's probably a 10% of people on this site that actually watch fights and understand them. Even they will not always get it right but they respect the fighters and the process. That's what martial arts are about. I agree with your sentiments.

Still not a bad thing to have prior to MMA, no?
But yeah I'm not really putting down Khamzat or anything.
Just the endless references to his being a tyke in this whole thing.
He's not. Though his fight IQ can certainly need some growing up.
Definitely he needs to change his fight IQ. It probably boils down to personality. One guy is a wildman while the other one is really calm. I don't think I ever even heard Gane promising to knock someone out.
Gane climbed up the ranks and got his title shot in a legitimate way. He took out contenders in a surgical fashion. He didn't fight like that in his MT career. He was much more offensive minded. I don't know if Khamzat has the ability to fight smart yet. He isn't going to last too long if he continues fighting like how he fought Burns

I see all this talk of Khamzat being "green" after a less-than-stellar win over the number 2 guy in Burns.
I like Khamzat, and that win checked some questions regarding his heart, will to win, and recovery.
However, nobody was talking about CYRIL GANE being "green" after he lost to Ngannou. He also lost for the first time in his career after only his 11th PRO fight. Like Khamzat, Gane started MMA rather late, at 24. However, he had no combat sports experience at all prior to MMA, having focused mainly on soccer and basketball.
Khamzat, meanwhile, actually wrestled for years prior to MMA, giving him a great base for the latter sport.

Not hating here. Like I said, Khamzat has made a fan out of me. Just finding all this "green" talk ludicrous. Not even his coaches and team harp on this as much.
I'm not a big fan of Khamzat. I do think he has some likeable characteristics. He seem big on charity and stuff, so I like that. However, if I'm being honest, I don't like the western influence he's adopted. I know that sounds backass backwards, but I don't know. I'm not a fan. It's like this dude doesn't know who is as a person. When he started MMA, he appeared as a semi-religious muslim, now he seems like a frat boy who curses every other word by learning english from an american. I don't know. Just weird.

But that being said, I would say Khamzat is getting more spin doctors because he's more popular than Gane. That's all it is. If Gane was as popular, he'd probably get the same level of spin doctors. Gane to actually beat ranked top 10 fighters before. He knocked out Derrick Lewis, someone who's competed for the title. So Gane kinda delivered before it came time to fight francis in some regard, in some he didn't but there was enough of a litmus test to know where he was at.

I knew wrestling would be his kryptonite. I mentioned that in a thread. However, I didn't see francis was going to be the one that did it. lol.

ciryl had 90 minutes of ring time in the UFC leading up to the Lewis fight
khamzat had 12 minutes of ring time in the UFC leading up to the Burns fight

find me anyone that has less than khamzat, that wasnt already in the top 15 to start with.

Heavyweight is a different landscape compared to Welterweight and should not be judged the same. Burns had 24 fights going into the fight, several of those fights against ranked opposition. That's over double the experience Chimaev had going in
the amount of ring time burns has going in, far surpassed chimaev

khamzat has around 1/9th the ring time of gane and probably less compared to burns

Gane had muai thai and kickboxing experience

the amount of ring time burns has going in, far surpassed chimaev

khamzat has around 1/9th the ring time of gane and probably less compared to burns

One crazy fact is:

Gilbert Burns has been in the fucking UFC since 2014

and Khamzat began training MMA in 2017....

Agree. Just the repetitive reference to his being THAT "green" is all I'm musing about

I would never call him green. His striking perhaps? His wrestling and grappling look world class and he has power. I'm just not convinced that's enough to beat Usman at this stage in his career. I'd prefer he get the development time that Usman himself got.

Definitely he needs to change his fight IQ. It probably boils down to personality. One guy is a wildman while the other one is really calm. I don't think I ever even heard Gane promising to knock someone out.
Gane climbed up the ranks and got his title shot in a legitimate way. He took out contenders in a surgical fashion. He didn't fight like that in his MT career. He was much more offensive minded. I don't know if Khamzat has the ability to fight smart yet. He isn't going to last too long if he continues fighting like how he fought Burns
Agreed

I would never call him green. His striking perhaps? His wrestling and grappling look world class and he has power. I'm just not convinced that's enough to beat Usman at this stage in his career. I'd prefer he get the development time that Usman himself got.
Yeah a few more fights would definitely do him a lot of good before Usman.
There's also the factor of Usman getting just a little older by that time

Khamzat being "green" after a less-than-stellar win over the number 2 guy in Burns.
- I don't see how a ranked 11-15 something guy that just beat the number 2 guy is less-than-stellar, it's pretty big. He was tested, first fight going that deep and he didn't crumble.

Did he live up to the destroyer hype? Of course not, he's human but what he accomplished is still pretty amazing. Despite his inexperience he was game and getting hit hard numberous times & won through sheer heart and determination.

His next fights will show if he's the next JG or a possible champion though.

yes, he's green.

ciryl had 90 minutes of ring time in the UFC leading up to the Lewis fight
khamzat had 12 minutes of ring time in the UFC leading up to the Burns fight

find me anyone that has less than khamzat, that wasnt already in the top 15 to start with.
So that makes him a neophyte to fighting, that is, green?

Khamzat being "green" after a less-than-stellar win over the number 2 guy in Burns.
- I don't see how a ranked 11-15 something guy that just beat the number 2 guy is less-than-stellar, it's pretty big. He was tested, first fight going that deep and he didn't crumble.

Did he live up to the destroyer hype? Of course not, he's human but what he accomplished is still pretty amazing. Despite his inexperience showing he was game and getting hit hard numberous times & won through sheer heart and determination.

His next fights will show if he's the next JG or a possible champion though.
I'm not downplaying Khamzat's win but to call his performance stellar, as you seem to desire, is disingenuous.
He nearly got finished in the 2nd, and was wading through muck in the 3rd trying to knock the other guy out.
As many have already pointed out, even to fans like myself, he displayed poor fight IQ in there.
It was a good win and he impressed with his heart and determination to win.
By no means was it stellar.
Or at least not in the way I understand the word.

Chimmy will be the champ sooner or later

in 2 years he'll be what.. 29? and Usman if he is even still in the game like 37 and Chimmy will by that time have 2 full years of development under his belt and much more experience

Back