Rumored Khabib's gameplan was to allow Justin to leg kick him

Ackmed

Silver Belt
Reaction score
Khabib's final takedown and submission was triggered by a leg kick.

In a pre-fight intercview he said they've been smashing his leg during camp to prepare for the fight.

Sounds like part of Khabib's plan was to fool Justin into leg kicking him from short distance to make that unpredictable trip transition to takedown and submission.

Sort of how he got Dustin to blow out his arms with a guillotine attempt.

Reverse psychology Khabib fight IQ fooled Justin.

Discuss.

In that moment where he took him down after a leg kick it sure did look like it was a clever setup.
Khabib just baited with weak kicks and an air jab to force something out of Justin.
NegligibleUnfoldedCreature-size_restricted.gif

But I'm not sure if that was the plan all along.
I thought that during the early stages of the fight Justin's leg kicks were bombs from further away - did not look like they would be easy to land takedowns off of.

But just before this gif took place, Justin started throwing short leg kicks from close distance.
I think Khabib ate two of them and looked to me like he did a quick "read and adjust" on the fly.

I think his leg was starting to hurt a little bit.. So he just went "fuck this shit" and ended the fight.

Realistically how many leg kicks could Khabib have planned on surviving? - Do you think he could've used this tactic if the fight had gone the distance?
Or did the plan likely include an early finish?

But then again maybe this wasn't as much of a clever plan than just the default option.
If you think about it - what could Khabib done to avoid the leg kicks without compromising his own game?
If you're not great at checking kicks, and if you wanna put on the pressure without having to retreat at every threat of a kick - you're gonna have to eat kicks.
They might have figured "Justin's kicks are gonna land no matter what - might as well just try to make the best of the situation"

Only reason Justin landed anything was because the GOAT Khabib allowed it.

I think his plan was to bring so much pressure that Justin couldn't load up on those leg kicks. Sure he'd eat a few but if he's constantly moving forward and throwing strikes/threatening with takedowns then Justin would be very hesitant to sit down on his leg kicks or his punches. It worked beautifully. Justin got skittish, winded himself constantly circling away, and then made a big mistake that got him subbed.

Khabib's final takedown and submission was triggered by a leg kick.

In a pre-fight intercview he said they've been smashing his leg during camp to prepare for the fight.

Sounds like part of Khabib's plan was to fool Justin into leg kicking him from short distance to make that unpredictable trip transition to takedown and submission.

Sort of how he got Dustin to blow out his arms with a guillotine attempt.

Reverse psychology Khabib fight IQ fooled Justin.

Discuss.

I wouldnt be supprised, I think Justin did show some decent timing on his lowkicks from the outside, better than we'd seen before but his natural game is more landing them on the inside which obviously leaves takedown openings.

How do you think Luke Rockhold got that way?

Luke got Khabib to enhance his ding dong by promising to use it exclusively on his (then) future wife. When he broke his promise; when he dumped her and started chasing tail - Khabib punished him by giving him a glass chin.

It is known.

I don't know whether thats true. Its possible that he just began timing the kicks ready and knew when Chandler was going to kick in that 2nd round.

In that moment where he took him down after a leg kick it sure did look like it was a clever setup.
Khabib just baited with weak kicks and an air jab to force something out of Justin.
NegligibleUnfoldedCreature-size_restricted.gif

But I'm not sure if that was the plan all along.
I thought that during the early stages of the fight Justin's leg kicks were bombs from further away - did not look like they would be easy to land takedowns off of.

But just before this gif took place, Justin started throwing short leg kicks from close distance.
I think Khabib ate two of them and looked to me like he did a quick "read and adjust" on the fly.

That's one of the most seamless transitions from wrestling to ground game I have seen in a while.

I very highly doubt it. No reasonable trainer is going to plan around “hey let’s just eat these shots”

Looking at Khabib approached it think the original plan was to anticipate Justin overextended and get the TD. When he saw Justin was playing it a bit more safe Khabib got a lot more aggressive with his jab and 1-2s and looked to land a TD off Justin’s counter.

Gameplanning for an attack your opponent is likely to throw is not the same as "allowing" it. Don't talk shit in an effort to create a legend around the performance

Justin looked like he never wrestled before. Khabib makes D1 wrestling look like D100 wrestling.

Back