Khabib’s Sambo is a joke compared to most MMA bases

Can't argue with the results though. Wins are wins.

khabibnurmagomedov1.png

Yeah Fedor and Khabib are clear examples Sambo doesn't work for MMA

Wait, what?
Yeah sure, Fedor really used his Sambo in all his matches... Rarely ko'd people... Yeah sure

Sambo is a joke...

a8faffa27366c6035352a43f945b5dbd.jpg

Basket ball shoes, soccer socks, gym shorts, a karate belt, UFC gloves, shaved legs, Olympic colors, ref in a clown outfit, a Jui jitsu GI, tkd Helmut on a Wrestling Mat. Get your shit together sambo.

Damn garage sale...

27-0 win streak
vs
0-3 loss streak

Yeah sure, Fedor really used his Sambo in all his matches... Rarely ko'd people... Yeah sure
I guess you didn't see any of his 3 fights with Nog, huh?

But please, tell me how the sambo Grand Master didn't use his sambo in MMA to beat one of the best grapplers the sport has ever seen...by grappling.

<36>

A tiny non-olympic sport that barely exists outside Russia has produced the HW GOAT and a soon to be 27-0 champion and potential future GOAT of the UFC's deepest division.

Was it the "Sambo power" that did it or the "Tough, dedicated Slavic mofo power" that did it?

Sambo is cool, but i think wrestling or boxing >>> rest but then again i dont give a fuck.

As long as it works, everythings cool.

I guess you didn't see any of his 3 fights with Nog, huh?

But please, tell me how the sambo Grand Master didn't use his sambo in MMA to beat one of the best grapplers the sport has ever seen...by grappling.

<36>
Second fight went few minutes, so two fights out of his whole career... thank god for sambo huh

Bah.. you haters know it’s true. What a joke sport. Almost as bad as point karate. Look at that pic and tell me that’s okay???

image_abe36815-d45e-489f-aaf9-380209203600_2048x2048.jpg

And wtf is this?

You obviously don't know much, if anything about grappling. That hold is one of the most legit subs.

download (1).jpeg

the odds are he beats the shit out of Conor unless he gets caught early.

Last edited:
From what I’ve seen, sambo is basically MMA on a wrestling mat. From a striking standpoint, it would seem to be a highly effective base as its standup techniques are tailored to anticipate takedowns and grappling exchanges. It’s probably similarly effective for MMA from a submission and wrestling standpoint. However, I would still have to imagine that you’re not going to see the same level of wrestling or submission prowess as you’d encounter at the Olympic or ADCC level respectively. His wrestling is at a high level because he’s training wrestling with world class wrestlers and I can guarantee you that he’s fine tuning his submissions at AKA with BJJ champions.

Khabib is not a pure sambo practitioner, first and foremost he is a freestyle wrestler. He started wrestling when he was 5 years old and transitioned to judo and sambo when he was a teenager. I agree with Chael Sonnen, the whole sambo thing is a gimmick. Khabib is essentially a wrestler who pretends to be a sambo guy just to pay homage to his country. That t-shirt about sambo and jiu jitsu which he wore prior to his fight with Tavarez was just an attempt to get some extra attention.

Sambo is not a very effective base for MMA and it's inferior to wrestling. The explanation for that is very simple, almost all takedowns in sambo or judo are based on grabbing a gi and there is no gi in MMA. Wrestling however doesn't require you to wear a gi and therefore it transitions to MMA much better. Double and single leg takedowns are more effective in MMA compared to Fedor/Rousey type of takedowns.

while i agree conor will knock out the guy who has defeated a bunch of nobodies, sambo is def not a joke... also they wear basically what every sport wears.

Back