Gold Belt
Reaction score
Kevin Johnson SC Terry Smith
Jose Luis Gonzalez SC Carson Jones
George Tahdooahnippah SC Steve Walker
Kyle Sherman SC Lance Moody
Ray Smith SC Isaiah Henderson
Franchesca Alcanter SC Kerri Hill

Top heavyweight prospect and DAR fave Kevin Johnson faces top 50ish gatekeeper Terry Smith. Now KJ has a super jab and some power when he feels like throwing his right hand. And Smith seemed decent in his first lost to Brock but since then has not been able to back up his trash talk and his loss against Calloway was pretty bad. Still this is a good chance to see where the 28 year old Johnson is as he is America's best shot for a heavyweight champion. Fights on at 9pm, enjoy.

Fights start in an hour, some people should care about Kevin Johnson.

Jones/Gonzalez will be a fun scrap. I expect Johnson to jab and jab and jab some more though. Still, like you said, he's a lot better than anyone else around in the US.

Jesus, Byrd looked skinny. I almost didn't recognize him.

Just got done watching the fights. Jones looked pretty good for a guy who's 14-6-1.
Johnson won the fight somewhat comfortably (if I were scoring, I'd say 97-93 or so), but unless he does more than sit there, flick out a jab and occasionally throw a right hand, I don't see him having a lot of success against top-notch guys. Am I even in the ballpark on this assessment or is it just me?

Also, Byrd did look skinny. He and Jones would make an interesting fight. I also liked how Jones called out Silva......

Another fight ends with Johnson getting booed.

It's nice he interacts with the crowd and all.... but if he really wants to get them something to rally behind why doesn't he vary his shots a bit and pick up the pace?

If for nothing else than the sake of his marketability.

It's nice he interacts with the crowd and all.... but if he really wants to get them something to rally behind why doesn't he vary his shots a bit and pick up the pace?

I agree. It seems like he does just enough to win and not much more.

johnson has quick hands feet a slick mouth and a good jab; to me he is not a complete fighter, people i know say he has the skills but when put into battle he can't or won't exercise them

he is undefeated and talks a good one; but i don't see him being able to execute, if he isn't impressive or offensive against smith he won't ever be.

guys at this level give u the opp to open up and show ur class; the upper level guys take ish away, so if this is how he looks against 3rd tier guys it won't get better against 2nd/1st tier

KJ, why do you torture us so? You talk a big game and call everybody out and then you put on a boring fucking jab machine performance. This was his 10th decision in 11 fights, think about that people. And KJ actually has power when he decides to throw a right hand, what a waste.

KJ, why do you torture us so? You talk a big game and call everybody out and then you put on a boring fucking jab machine performance. This was his 10th decision in 11 fights, think about that people. And KJ actually has power when he decides to throw a right hand, what a waste.

Yeah, it seems like he could be better than he is, but he settles to do just enough to get by.

I was unimpressed with Johnson's performance. In fact, it really wasn't all that clear-cut a decision, given Smith's greater aggression.

I was unimpressed with Johnson's performance. In fact, it really wasn't all that clear-cut a decision, given Smith's greater aggression.

Yeah, I think Johnson may have won, but I thought it was in the 97-93 Johnson to 96-94 Smith neighborhood.

I missed the fight last night but on his last Shobox fight he was doing this. Talking shit with a ring girl during the fight and trying to show up his opponent who was already clearly outclassed. It annoyed me to the point I had to turn the fight off before it was over.

The guy has potential but I'm not a fan.

I missed the fight last night but on his last Shobox fight he was doing this. Talking shit with a ring girl during the fight and trying to show up his opponent who was already clearly outclassed. It annoyed me to the point I had to turn the fight off before it was over.

The guy has potential but I'm not a fan.

agreed...can be a fan of this guy.

Yeah, Johnson's style rubbed me the wrong way.

he needs a manny steward in this corner yelling "knock this mofo out!" DOESN'T HE KNOW THAT KOs bring $$$$.

Back