Ketogenic/Intermittent Fasting for cutting

Yeah, carb cycling and IF is what I do.

I don't do it terribly strictly but it's definitely better than straight low-carbing it.

Yeah, carb cycling and IF is what I do.

I don't do it terribly strictly but it's definitely better than straight low-carbing it.

Yeah, definitely.

wvGJstE.png

I ate a whopping 530 g of carbs today to get ready for a colossal training session tomorrow. I'll have jiujitsu in the morning, followed by a swim, bike, and run in the afternoon.

Progress:

ahOCqVC.jpg

Weight: 212 lbs

Last edited:
03nFPFg.png

LlwkKTL.jpg

Training:

OQN8giz.jpg

All of my training today was done in a fasted state.

Did you ever check to see if you were actually in ketosis? Pretty high protein content to register ketones.

Yup. I used the Phinex urinalysis strips to determine the ketone levels in my urine. All of the strips came out with a medium to dark purple hue so I was definitely in ketosis.

Urine strips aren't accurate. You need blood strips. As you get keto adapted you use ketones instead of excreting them. Piss strips were popular back in the atkins days because it was the only thing around. Now they've been proven high inaccurate. It's very unlikely you were actually in ketosis.

PU5RsbC.png

Going keto once again. This time, I'm taking in more electrolytes - magnesium, sodium, and potassium - to prevent the cramps. Also, I'm not eating nuts anymore. They have too much carbs, and I don't feel as satiated with them as I would by eating lean meat and cheese. It's easy to go overboard on the caloric intake by snacking on these morsels Plus, I've read an article about the monounsaturated fats in the nuts being oxidized and becoming rancid when they are roasted, so no more nuts for me.

Last edited:
I've been inspired by your log, and have a question about your 8 hr window. When do you have it? Mines is from 10:45-6:45 pm now.

8 hours is the maximum for me, but sometimes it can be 4 or 5, or even none (meaning I fast for 24 hours and eat one big meal that day). I usually train in the morning and in the evening. My first training could be from 8 AM to 12 PM and I break my fast (small meal for recovery) at 2 PM. My second training could be from 6 - 8 PM or 7 - 9 PM and I have my last meal (my biggest meal) at 8 or 9 PM.

So in a nutshell, my window of feeding is from 2-9 PM. I take BCAA and sometimes yohimbine/ephedrine + caffeine before my training as well.

c0BuEgz.png

Forgot to put one item in my log: 2 cups of broccoli.

Had 4 sticks of string cheese at around 5 pm, and the rest at 10 pm.

zbnKKWq.png

Morning weight: 208 lbs - bone dry

Carb load up today. My body needed it so bad at that point.

KOLpyMn.png

Despite eating only 2050 calories today, I feel very satiated.

Last edited:
It seems like you get to where you're about to go into keto or just in it and then you eat a bunch of carbs, you're never going to adapt if you do that. What is your reasoning or idea about this? Just curious my man.

Just fyi I had my wisdom teeth removed Wednesday so I ruined my keto, been eating (drinking) soups and yogurt like foods. So when I am back to eating solids i'll be going back to keto.

It seems like you get to where you're about to go into keto or just in it and then you eat a bunch of carbs, you're never going to adapt if you do that. What is your reasoning or idea about this? Just curious my man.

Just fyi I had my wisdom teeth removed Wednesday so I ruined my keto, been eating (drinking) soups and yogurt like foods. So when I am back to eating solids i'll be going back to keto.

Yeah, I had to drop the keto diet because my hunger pangs were going out of control, and my performance was faltering in the gym. I've done it in the past with great success for a cut, but I wasn't fasting intermittently at the time. With the fasting thrown into the mix, my brain goes haywire and my stomach just screams for food all the time, as well as the aforementioned crap performance in the gym. So it's just carb-cycling + IF from now on.

I wish I could change the name of this thread to avoid misleading other people, but I don't know how to do it.

Morning weight: 206 lbs.

o9Qu7St.png

Forgot to add - 5 gram of fish oil - 50 calories

I wish I could change the name of this thread to avoid misleading other people, but I don't know how to do it.

Go to Support forum, open new thread and link to this one, ask for title to be changed.
Bing bada boom.

Back