Ken Shamrock Podcast

Part 2

https://themmacommunity.com/threads/minoru-suzuki-interview-part-2-of-5.73609/

Suzuki: As Funaki was injured, there is no “what if” scenario to this. There is no what if as he was not part of the show. I was the one in the show for this

Yamamoto: In other words, was the finish pre-determined?

Suzuki: I would like to skip that question.

Thanks for the read... Complex & rich character, for sure...

This part ´bout the Maurice fight left me perplexed, tho...

Meanwhile, he talks about Wayne´s 'diet' as if it were somethin´natural... Strange... Gotch openly accused Wayne of PEDs abuse...

Last edited:
The November 1989 UWF Maurice Smith vs Minoru Suzuki bout won't be fleshed out fully in my interviews with Minoru Suzuki or Maurice Smith, but my second interview with Masa Funaki (Maurice's original opponent for the bout, and Suzuki's mentor) reveals all the specific details on it. It'll be in my two volumes of interview books I'm working on (detailing the history of the Fujiwara-Gumi organization from 3/91-2/93, and leading into the creation of Pancrase).

The November 1989 UWF Maurice Smith vs Minoru Suzuki bout won't be fleshed out fully in my interviews with Minoru Suzuki or Maurice Smith, but my second interview with Masa Funaki (Maurice's original opponent for the bout, and Suzuki's mentor) reveals all the specific details on it. It'll be in my two volumes of interview books I'm working on (detailing the history of the Fujiwara-Gumi organization from 3/91-2/93, and leading into the creation of Pancrase).
You do great work, man. Thanks for sharing it with the world; there's tons of hardcore fans like myself that are just dying to know what the inner thoughts of Funaki, Suzuki, Fujiwara etc. were regarding the momentous occasions in there careers.

Do any of your interviews touch on the concept of kaitentai....? That was always a fascinating concept to me, but its' precise meaning remains elusive to me. I'd love to hear Funaki's explanation of it and whether or not he thought any contemporary fighters exemplified it.

Thanks man.

Off the top of my head, that term is seen in Suzuki part 2 where we're talking about the 4/90 UWF Funaki vs Suzuki match. (It may be in other interviews I have yet to release, or in the additional translators notes that sometimes don't get released- not sure though).

I think maybe around 11 interviews that will be compiled in the books have been posted online also. Another 9 have been done but will likely just be in the books. 2 more interviews yet to do, hopefully in the first half of 2021. Plus lots of essays.

You do great work, man. Thanks for sharing it with the world; there's tons of hardcore fans like myself that are just dying to know what the inner thoughts of Funaki, Suzuki, Fujiwara etc. were regarding the momentous occasions in there careers.

Do any of your interviews touch on the concept of kaitentai....? That was always a fascinating concept to me, but its' precise meaning remains elusive to me. I'd love to hear Funaki's explanation of it and whether or not he thought any contemporary fighters exemplified it.
What is your understanding of it anyhow?

What is your understanding of it anyhow?
Kaitentai...? Basically the idea is a style of grappling where you do whatever you can to avoid stalemates or deadlocks and to engage in dynamic, continuous motion. And it is part of the reason that some forms of Japanese catch-wrestling have the aesthetic quality and high-risk factor that they do.

Kaitentai...? Basically the idea is a style of grappling where you do whatever you can to avoid stalemates or deadlocks and to engage in dynamic, continuous motion. And it is part of the reason that some forms of Japanese catch-wrestling have the aesthetic quality and high-risk factor that they do.
We need more of that in MMA.
There should be a kaitentai bonus.

I'm 100% with you. It is too bad that it isn't as big a part of Japanese MMA either.
I think there is something to this...like KO incentives in standup.
Trouble is when the stakes are high and not losing becomes a priority these approaches take a backseat.

Ken was worlds most dangerous man. I think we fans abandoded him.

Back