Ken Norton vs Joe Frazier

donutstix

Bang
@purple
Reaction score
Why did this fight never happen? They both gave Ali all he could handle, and both were crushed by Foreman. Was there an agreement between the two, or any other reason why this match never took place?

Also, who takes it if it does happen back in the day?

I searched and didn't see any info on this, sorry if there's some massive thread on it somewhere that I missed.

I wondered the same thing awhile back and found out that they were good friends and sparring partners.

Frazier would have KO'd Kenny Norton had they met for real though.

i agree with booty daddy frazier had the better chin and enough power to blast out norton. both big hitters but frazier is busier and takes norton out in the later rounds

I wondered the same thing awhile back and found out that they were good friends and sparring partners.

Frazier would have KO'd Kenny Norton had they met for real though.

Pretty much end of story.

I think Norton would have had a fantastic chance with Frazier.

Thanks for the info, guys. I've always wondered about this.

Yeah, now that I think about it, I am kinda wishing it had happened. I can honestly see it going either way but I'd lean Frazier. He had the better chin, and could have eventually gotten inside. If he can get in on Ali, he can get in on Norton...although you could make the argument that Norton beat Ali 2/3 times, so who knows. Great matchup though to debate.

Yeah, now that I think about it, I am kinda wishing it had happened. I can honestly see it going either way but I'd lean Frazier. He had the better chin, and could have eventually gotten inside. If he can get in on Ali, he can get in on Norton...although you could make the argument that Norton beat Ali 2/3 times, so who knows. Great matchup though to debate.

I wouldn't put much stock into the "he beat Ali 2/3(and arguably 3/3)" mainly because Norton had a style that didn't play to any of Ali's strengths, and that was his biggest asset in those fights.

Futch did an interview once where he said a big mistake Ali made was fighting the unknown Ken Norton the first time because Ken had been sparring with Joe Frazier for months and had gotten very sharp.
Frazier fought Foreman and 2 months later, Norton fought Ali who Ali took lightly as just another stepping stone to eventually getting another title shot (Ali had already lost to Frazier). Norton busted Ali

Futch did an interview once where he said a big mistake Ali made was fighting the unknown Ken Norton the first time because Ken had been sparring with Joe Frazier for months and had gotten very sharp.
Frazier fought Foreman and 2 months later, Norton fought Ali who Ali took lightly as just another stepping stone to eventually getting another title shot (Ali had already lost to Frazier). Norton busted Ali

Back