Karate dojo that teaches MMA or MMA gym that teachs karate?

So I guess those are technically “Karate” elbows? The way in which I described throwing them (mechanics).
I think mechanics vary from person to person regardless of style. What feels or works best on how to do a technique will differ so I don’t think mechanics of a technique preclude something from being ‘karate’ or ‘muay Thai’
If you’re training karate for full contact kicking, punching, kneeing, elbowing and clinching, they’re exactly the same over all as far as I’m concerned. How people do those specific things really isn’t that important.

I think mechanics vary from person to person regardless of style. What feels or works best on how to do a technique will differ so I don’t think mechanics of a technique preclude something from being ‘karate’ or ‘muay Thai’
If you’re training karate for full contact kicking, punching, kneeing, elbowing and clinching, they’re exactly the same over all as far as I’m concerned. How people do those specific things really isn’t that important.

I agree. Some schools are super picky about doing the way they were taught but some are more willing to adapt with the times. I think the mechanics also depend on what kind of guard you use. If those goju guys use a high guard, then it may be very similar to Muay Thai just because of the hand position

I agree. Some schools are super picky about doing the way they were taught but some are more willing to adapt with the times. I think the mechanics also depend on what kind of guard you use. If those goju guys use a high guard, then it may be very similar to Muay Thai just because of the hand position
Having full contact to the head encourages a much higher guard than other karate styles

Having full contact to the head encourages a much higher guard than other karate styles
I’m just curious, are you a goju kai karateka? If so, would you say your lineage is more open to change and do you guys work on a lot of kata?

I’ve dabbled in Okinawan goju for about a year. It’s very similar to Chinese martial arts and I did like it but i really don’t like kata and they did a lot of kata and not enough sparring.

I’m just curious, are you a goju kai karateka? If so, would you say your lineage is more open to change and do you guys work on a lot of kata?

I’ve dabbled in Okinawan goju for about a year. It’s very similar to Chinese martial arts and I did like it but i really don’t like kata and they did a lot of kata and not enough sparring.
Not goju Kai.
Sho rei shobu kan via sho rei kan

while we didn’t do much sparring officially during class time, we did have a semi-formal sparring class after our normal Saturday classes if there was a blackbelt willing to stay and supervise…and when you and your best friend are blackbelts you get to supervise each other as you beat each other lol

That’s what I thought, it just feels so damn natural from a boxing position that it is effortless to learn if you can box even a bit.

Exact same mechanics as a hook/uppercut.

Apparently that giga guy does or has trained there at least once

Last edited:
Back