Kampann - Gustafsson - Hansen

Gunnar Nelson should be mentioned in this Viking alliance, but yes i guess its Gustafsson.

In all honesty I don't think a prime Hansen is even top 15 at any weight class today. Kampmann's skills on paper always looked better than he did in the cage. He's managed to stick around the top 10-15 for years, but never managed to earn a title shot, or make too big of an impact on his division. Whereas Gustafsson is easily the second best LHW in the world and arguably just beat the LHW champ and #1 p4p fighter in the world. So this is pretty easy for me, Gustafsson>Kampmann>Hansen.

In all honesty I don't think a prime Hansen is even top 15 at any weight class today. Kampmann's skills on paper always looked better than he did in the cage. He's managed to stick around the top 10-15 for years, but never managed to earn a title shot, or make too big of an impact on his division. Whereas Gustafsson is easily the second best LHW in the world and arguably just beat the LHW champ and #1 p4p fighter in the world. So this is pretty easy for me, Gustafsson>Kampmann>Hansen.

The guy beat Gomi, Aoki, a prime Yves Edwards, Uno and took Alverez to a decision, this without a big camp and usually fighting quite often. I guess a cage rather than a ring would make a difference but in his day he could put up a fight against anyone.

Hansen has flown under the radar, but he has the most impressive and storied career. Stopped Gomi's run, beat Aoki, KO'd Uno, beat JZ before his injury spiral. Also had one of the greatest fights I've seen against Alvarez. All those fights were against the best.

Gus' career is still young, and Kampmann hasn't had a career defining moment.

The guy beat Gomi, Aoki, a prime Yves Edwards, Uno and took Alverez to a decision, this without a big camp and usually fighting quite often. I guess a cage rather than a ring would make a difference but in his day he could put up a fight against anyone.
And he lost to Shaolin right after he beat Gomi. He lost to Sakurai, Mitsuoka, lost the trilogy to Aoki, etc. I'm not saying the guy's a can, he had a nice career, but he was inconsistent even in his day. And the sport, especially his division, has evolved significantly.

And he lost to Shaolin right after he beat Gomi. He lost to Sakurai, Mitsuoka, lost the trilogy to Aoki, etc. I'm not saying the guy's a can, he had a nice career, but he was inconsistent even in his day. And the sport, especially his division, has evolved significantly.

Good points and true but I think a prime Joachim in the UFC with a top camp does great things. He had a lot of tournaments in his day and fought often, today fighters get more rest, better camps etc.

Good points and true but I think a prime Joachim in the UFC with a top camp does great things. He had a lot of tournaments in his day and fought often, today fighters get more rest, better camps etc.
His biggest weakness was wrestling, so we'd have to assume he would really take to it at a bigger camp. Because a prime Hansen as he was would get grapplefucked by Myles Jury.

I still think Hansen is the dude, considering how long he was good and I think everyone in the world loved to see him fight. Right now though, with Gustafsson doing what he did he will obviously shine brighter and be the easiest pick. Hrm. If Alex keeps going he'll get ahead fast though.

Back