Media Kamaru Usman talks about his decision to fight Khamzat Chimaev on short notice

A win for Khamzat is better for the sport. Usman doesn't have another title run or meaningful run left in him with his mileage and age.

But I hope he derails the train anyway

"At the end of the day, we're all human beings. Everyone feels invincible until someone pokes that balloon."

Eye poke gameplan.

Can't wait for Khamzat to starch Usman

Honestly, couldn't give less of a f* about these two. Will watch, for sure but they aren't even fighting at Usman's weight and yet the winner gets a titleshot.
This fight is corrupted in ideals and values.

Hats off to both guys. Usman, obviously. But accepting him as a late replacement is also worthy of praise, not an easy match up for Chimaev at all.

What about his knees? They make it seem like he can barely walk. Either way I will stream (from the east). I always cheer for Usman.

What about his knees? They make it seem like he can barely walk. Either way I will stream (from the east). I always cheer for Usman.

Hahaha that is so true.. Usman needs to clarify this and put that stuff to bed

A win for Khamzat is better for the sport. Usman doesn't have another title run or meaningful run left in him with his mileage and age.

But I hope he derails the train anyway
Usman winning sets up another double weight champion. It also gives Strickland the opportunity to avenge a loss against Usman. Just as much of a compelling fight than Chimaev at this point in my opinion. Also if either Usman or Chimaev wins in a dominating way it will legitimize this being a title eliminator fight. Worse case scenario is that you get some awful split decision, a draw, robbery, or a DQ.

Usman winning sets up another double weight champion. It also gives Strickland the opportunity to avenge a loss against Usman. Just as much of a compelling fight than Chimaev at this point in my opinion. Also if either Usman or Chimaev wins in a dominating way it will legitimize this being a title eliminator fight. Worse case scenario is that you get some awful split decision, a draw, robbery, or a DQ.

Strickland avenging a loss to Usman is neither compelling or relevant. Usman was 6 fights away from winning the welterweight title when that original fight happened, it's ancient history. Usman winning the middleweight title in his late 30's to become a double champ is mildly compelling but that is not only unlikely to occur but he has no capability of defending against the middleweight contenders at his age and mileage. I'm not saying there's no value in Usman winning I'm saying there's more value in Khamzat winning and ascending into title contention because he's more exciting and has enough gas left in the tank to be relevant for the next 5-10 years. Usman has 1-3 good fights left in him if we're fortunate.

Back