Kamaru Usman never surpassed Matt Hughes

I like Usman but Hughes would have pounded Masivdal and Thompson into dust. Two or more depending how you count of the best Usman wins

Usman never fought Wonderboy. But yeah I'd favor Hughes over Masvidal. Essentially it's whether or not you think Hughes could get Jorge to the ground and I think he could.

Usman never fought Wonderboy. But yeah I'd favor Hughes over Masvidal. Essentially it's whether or not you think Hughes could get Jorge to the ground and I think he could.
images

He lost to José Landi I'm not surprise if Jorge would have KO him.

Hughes vs GSP 2 was a true passing of the torch. imho It really signified the start of a new era of fighters

Matt vs Colby who you think that win ?

Colby wins but if you put prime Matt in today's world with modern training, PEDs, etc., it's a very close fight. Matt is stronger and his cardio is nearly as good. I think it would be a modern version of Hughes vs. Sherk

This. Matt had 3 completely separate and single fights in the UFC, even losing the last one in just 20 seconds (2-1), and yet he came straight into his full UFC run in a title shot against Newton. Of course counting only title fights benefits him. Usman had to get 9 straight wins before his fights could revolve around the title.
THIS and why it isn’t close to me. Grass roots champ who had to earn it vs a guy that they pretty much khamzatted him to the front. People will only look at title fight numbers and even then let’s completely ignore fighter skill. There is no world Hughes is more skilled or would have rightfully worked his way to the title without more losses. These same people would claim khamzat had a better career than Leon if he wins a belt. Very little analysis here. Emotional choices

Last edited:
Usman would make Hughes look like a flyweight

I'm always surprised when people place Usman ahead of Hughes and had him threatening GSP. I think it's a clear case of recency bias at play. Let's compare their title wins by using Fight Matrix historical rankings of each title contender at the time of their fights.

Matt Hughes:
Carlos Newton (#1)
Hayato Sakurai (#6)
Carlos Newton (#5)
Gil Castillo (#3)
Sean Sherk (#2)
Frank Trigg (#2)
GSP (#9)
Frank Trigg (#4)
BJ Penn (#3)

Kamaru Usman:
Tyron Woodley (#1)
Colby Covington (#3)
Jorge Masvidal (#2)
Gilbert Burns (#3)
Jorge Masvidal (#4)
Colby Covington (#2)

Even if you give Usman's wins more weight due to modern welterweight being deeper, I still think it's pretty clear that Hughes' resume is on the same level, if not better.

In fact, the only two fighters on Hughes' title resume who weren't top 5 welterweights at the time he fought them are GSP and Sakurai, which in hindsight are two of his most impressive wins. So GSP and Sakurai were underrated at the time while Colby and Masvidal were arguably overrated in their rematches.

To sum it up, Hughes had more title wins against a bigger variety of opponents, and his best wins are as good as Usman's best wins.

I just don't see why everyone's so sure that Usman is ahead of Hughes as a champion. He needed the win over Edwards to make the argument.

This is why someone like Islam needs to push past Dana's obsession with meaningless rematches.

Any great champion needs variety. That Usman only ever defended against 4 different guys is a real shame. It excludes him from GOAT conversations.

Matt Hughes never surpassed Matt Hughes, so it’s a draw

ou think someone like Maia or Masvidal was more athletic than Hendricks, Koscheck, Alves, Condit, BJ Penn...?

Yeah, they're better athletes hence why they didn't completely collapse like Hendricks post USADA for instance.

Name one fight you watched by ANY of the people I just named.

Here's one :

pjimage-2.jpg

I know you can't because you don't watch people fight, you just parrot what Brendan Schaub says.

Or like Rogan or GSP himself ? : https://forums.sherdog.com/posts/172255856/

You're a delusional fanboy stuck in the past. You're so delusional that you even dared to speak about doping in favor or Hughes in one of your post, i mean like if current UFC fighters weren't the actual fighters under proper drug testing (USADA).

Yeah, they're better athletes hence why they didn't completely collapse like Hendricks post USADA for instance.

Here's one :

pjimage-2.jpg

Or like Rogan or GSP himself ? : https://forums.sherdog.com/posts/172255856/

You're a delusional fanboy stuck in the past. You're so delusional that you even dared to speak about doping in favor or Hughes in one of your post, i mean like if current UFC fighters weren't the actual fighters under proper drug testing (USADA).

TS knowledge exclusively comes from FightMatrix, Wikipedia and what has read from other shertards of his kinf. Its painfully obvious his understanding of MMA is paper thin

Yes but title defences > consecutive wins

Not necesarily for the same reason Tim Sylvia is not the #2 HW of all-time, Miletich is not top5 WW of all-time, and Tito Ortiz is not #3 LHW of all-time.

Some shertards want to hype up Hughes run in the very limited UFC 170lbs circuit of the early '00s but to keep denying Usman at this point is retarded BS that you will only read on sherdog

Back