Kali stand up self defense?

Pook

White Belt
Reaction score
What's the general opinion of Kali as an art and form of self defense? I can't help but be impressed by how amazing it seems

I don't know much about it but seems to focus mostly on stick fighting from what I have seen though I could be wrong.......

Don't believe the nonsense about the stick or blade techniques translating to empty-hand. They don't. You'd be better off learning boxing. However, kali IS great if you have a stick or two, or a machete on you when you get mugged.

love the sticks and chucks for warmin up, wrist mobility, and general rhythm

I did kali for about 2 years starting at age 14. Though my instructors were versed in boxing so we did a few boxing drills aswell but as far as self defense application it wasn't all that great.

I had a fist fight at school and got beaten, held my own but kali didn't really prepare me for the situation. Had i been at the local pcyc doing boxing and sparring every weekend i would of been more prepared.

One thing i will say about kali is some of the stick drills are really great for developing hand eye co-ordination and upper body co-ordination. Drills such as heaven 6, high low high, and earth 6.

When you do these drills with a partner and walk around the room and circle around each other you get a good eye for peripheral vision and general co-ordiantion. It translated over to my boxing pretty good, it didn't take me that long to pick up basics cause i already had that co-ordination. Another dude that attended kali with me and also did the same boxing class as me picked things up fairly quick aswell casue of the co-ordination he gained from kali.

Also the drills are really fun and a good way to mix things up. Not to mention if you have a sizeable Filipino community you'll see some hot filipina's at the class :icon_chee

TS, check out Doce Pares Escima Kali website.

Don't believe the nonsense about the stick or blade techniques translating to empty-hand. They don't. You'd be better off learning boxing. However, kali IS great if you have a stick or two, or a machete on you when you get mugged.

don't believe this guy. the motions of the stick and blade definitely translate to empty hand. sounds like this guy either didn't give kali enough study or just plain didn't catch on. i see this alot with new students, they don't make the connections of the movements and just get to focused on the weapon itself. that is whether its stick/blade or empty hand.

I'm guessing that's why places like the Mn Kali Group incorporate things like Wing Chun , Panantukan, Muay Thai, and jun fan/JKD in to their Phase Classes.If you watch say the Bourne films that isn't staright Kali.Correct me if I'm wrong.It's a hybrid

If you really want Kali go to CEBU, Philippines, id really love to study the arts of Kali but theres no Kali in my location.
Heres a Kali exhibition:

Kali does translate to empty hands, but unlike boxing or modern MT, it is first and fore most a weapon system. This means it will be an inferior empty hands system to boxing especially for ring use. the flip side is that with any kind of tool over about 12 inches a Kail trained fighter is going to be a serious threat to deal with.

It trips me up a bit having trained in Muay Thai and Boxing. The foot work, hammer fists and locks are just hard for me to get my brain around. But still, weapons work and open hand certainly has it's advantages and it's great for the reflexes.

I started out with FMAs and I for one fully support them. I fully support the translation of its stick techniques to blade to empty hand. I've been doing muay thai now for 3 years and still use some old tricks from my arnis days in sparring and they are effective. For self defense it doesnt get much better.

Back