Kabuki, Kyryllo help please ( defense vs orthodox )

Knucks

White Belt
Reaction score
Basically I'm a tall and lanky southpaw, train MT. I use the jab alot and often but into later rounds of sparring my jabs and lead hooks become slower/lazier and at this point against orthodox fighters, their cross becomes a problem and is frustrating to counter and defend against. Usually my jab prevents them from throwing or landing it or im quick enough to slip their cross and land a counter hook or cross. In the later rounds when I don't jab as much i find slipping doesn't work so well maybe because of fatigue or because the distance is shortened since i didn't jab as much. Therefore the problem I have is mainly the body cross from an orthodox fighter, and the cross when theyre slightly to the right of my stance so to the side of my lead leg. What should i do?

I have trouble dealing with orthodox crosses sometimes too. I too would like to hear some counters and defenses.

Usually I slip it, but thats not too often. Other times i block it, but i recieve way too much glove impact from it.

Either of you ever hear of catching the cross? It shouldn't be too much of a problem if you're paying attention to deflect the right hand with your left glove. Even downward, if you time it right you can deflect downward and counter the cross to the body with your right-hook to the body, or in MT I'd let them try to pull back and launch a high round-kick (right leg)-left cross-right hook combo.

I try to defend the left hand from southpaws the same way I defend jabs from orthodox guys. I have my rear hand out in front of my face to deflect the shots.

Either of you ever hear of catching the cross? It shouldn't be too much of a problem if you're paying attention to deflect the right hand with your left glove. Even downward, if you time it right you can deflect downward and counter the cross to the body with your right-hook to the body, or in MT I'd let them try to pull back and launch a high round-kick (right leg)-left cross-right hook combo.

Ah yes. Catching. Today in the ring i cleanly caught a couple rights on my mitt, but that was it. No follow up beside the odd jab. So after my session, i was thinking of some methods to follow up after catching the right.

My first idea.. catch and move the right downwards and throw my own short cross over the top of it, kinda like how you slap down an orthodox jab and counter with your own over the top. But alas, i wasnt quick enough for that one. But im sure it can work.

My second idea was similar to the option you gave, but instead of a right hook, I was thinking of parrying the right and posting a stiff jab under it to their liver. I figure it'll have some impact if they overcommit forward with their right.

My third idea, a simple stiff jab up the middle, which was what i was doing during the spar, but i wasnt throwing my jab straight and up the middle enough to really make a post between me and my partners face.

I really wanna try that jab to the liver though.

My second idea was similar to the option you gave, but instead of a right hook, I was thinking of parrying the right and posting a stiff jab under it to their liver. I figure it'll have some impact if they overcommit forward with their right.

Instead of parrying try slipping to the outside while jabbing the body at the same time. I like to use this a lot because of my ever-present height/reach disadvantage but I imagine it works just as well for a tall guy. Besides, if you parry his right with your left and attempt to jab you will be open for the hook that will probably be coming your way immediately after, and he will probably land first nearly every time. By slipping to the outside of his cross you force him to turn a bit towards you to land his hook (always a plus when you can make him turn) while closing a bit of distance for your jab which means not only will you land first you can also mix up the target (liver, sternum, chin, nose, etc.). Follow it up with a left-uppercut between his guard and a right hook-left cross to the head and your golden :D

Try to play with angles and movement, it should make it hard for the opponent to aim and catch you. An angle that makes it harder to catch you with a cross making the way for it longer is the one where you have your right foot staying outside of his left foot, your general movement would be circling or stepping to your right and then closing the distance.
You should as often as possible manage to come in this position (you'd be red)

feetfu7.jpg

It's not always easy, but once you learn how to use this angle your defense gets better, and you will get complements as "wow he's so elusive" :D but all you do is just thinking ahead a bit.

A cool little trick my Kru taught me was to begin circling backwards and to the left. This will usually draw your opponent into throwing the right cross and when he does, slip to the outside (left) and come over with your left cross. It's not appropriate for every situation, but it's a cool trick.

Another trick I learned, but this time using the jab, is to throw your jab towards his right hand. When they begin parrying with the left hand, throw your right hook off the right jab.

BTW, where in the GTA do you train?

Usually I'd just catch the cross to the head or if i can slip it do the jab uppercut hook combo or whatever. mainly the body cross even if i block it with my forearm i really dont know what to do next. i'll focus on my angles this time around and keeping up with my jab since that usually prevents the whole problem.

jlagman i train at Kombat Arts in mississauga. once in a while id drop in at salvosa because im in scarborough often almost weekly. How much do you guys sell Twins 16oz gloves for at your gym? I need a good 16oz pair of gloves but cant afford some of the high priced equipment around here.

I would suggest you actually watch some MT fights and try and learn a few things from the best. Alot of the very good fighters are actually lefties. Saenchai being one of them.

Usually I'd just catch the cross to the head or if i can slip it do the jab uppercut hook combo or whatever. mainly the body cross even if i block it with my forearm i really dont know what to do next. i'll focus on my angles this time around and keeping up with my jab since that usually prevents the whole problem.

jlagman i train at Kombat Arts in mississauga. once in a while id drop in at salvosa because im in scarborough often almost weekly. How much do you guys sell Twins 16oz gloves for at your gym? I need a good 16oz pair of gloves but cant afford some of the high priced equipment around here.

I don't know how much they sell Twins gloves for @ SS, but I don't imagine them being any cheaper here than anywhere else. I bought all my Windy gear online.

I really wanna try that jab to the liver though.

I am an orthdox fighter and there is a guy i spar with regularly that is southpaw, he does exactly what your describing. Honestly, I think it is pretty effective and he follows it with a quick cross high.

I am an orthdox fighter and there is a guy i spar with regularly that is southpaw, he does exactly what your describing. Honestly, I think it is pretty effective and he follows it with a quick cross high.

sweet, awesome that you mention it. I was going to add to my post, that after i land that stiff jab to the liver, thats going to set up my left over the top. and i can imagine it'll really come crashing down hard. :icon_chee

I had it all played out in my head, thanks for confirming it'll work and work effectively at that.

Try to play with angles and movement, it should make it hard for the opponent to aim and catch you. An angle that makes it harder to catch you with a cross making the way for it longer is the one where you have your right foot staying outside of his left foot, your general movement would be circling or stepping to your right and then closing the distance.
You should as often as possible manage to come in this position (you'd be red)

feetfu7.jpg

It's not always easy, but once you learn how to use this angle your defense gets better, and you will get complements as "wow he's so elusive" :D but all you do is just thinking ahead a bit.

I think this is how we should all communicate from now on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back