K Guard

ChrisK1

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
Anyone here play K-Guard at all? Ive seen the Melanson videos and also see Milam plays it. Cummings looked like he something on it as well.

Wondering if people have had comp success with it.

I've started playing with it recently. Its very good, but of course it has weaknesses like everything else. The reason I like it is it works well gi and nogi, It is an effective way to get into leglocks if someone isn't standing and it is submission oriented. I mostly sweep and then attack from the top, so K-guard gives me something a bit different. One thing I've noticed though is I really have to speed up to play it. I thought when I saw it I could just sit around and wait for them to make a mistake. In my experience as soon as I get into it people will react and force me to try a submission. I haven't tried it the way Melanson does it, so maybe that would help slow things down a bit.

Also I believe the Miyaos also play K-guard quite a bit nogi. I got some ideas from them on how to play it.

I've had a bit of recent success with it. I like it because it forces me to get my hips into play. Too often I just sit around in full guard without cutting any angles.

One thing I've noticed though is I really have to speed up to play it. I thought when I saw it I could just sit around and wait for them to make a mistake. In my experience as soon as I get into it people will react and force me to try a submission.

This has definitely been my experience. I have to try to almost rush the sub and Im in usually in a pretty shit situation if I miss it (which is usually the case right now). Its almost like people don't respect the guard and try to smash right through it....again probably due to my inability to capitalize. What drives me nuts is that I see the exposure.

You have any specific videos youve resourced?

Back