Media Justin Gaethje: Do Bronx had his shot and didn’t show up for the rematch. It is what it is.

I like watching Justin fight but for a dude who wears glasses he’s not exactly a deep thinker.
When Gaethje is fighting smart he's got very good striking IQ
- Countered Cerrone for a KO
- Countered T-Fergs jab and broke it down with overhands, left hooks and leg kicks
- KO'd Barboza for trying to take a lazy exit (kept exiting to Gaethje's right)
- destroyed James Vicks career
- outstruck Fiziev backed behind a newfound jab
- KO'd Poirier with a well set up headkick... one of LW's best strikers.

Sure Gaethje has been goaded into brawls and dought sloppy but his body of work is becoming hard to ignore as more than just a guy who's tough.

Oh not at all, and I do believe that's why we love him. But he has shown improvements in his game since his Olives loss, and he may have realized that he hit a ceiling since he lost to the last two champions while having the skills on paper to beat both. He was clipped by Chucky while being lazy and tied into a pretzel by Khabib for assuming his TDD would just hold up. With Fizzy and Porier, he is showing more measure in his pace, and I do hope Justin becomes champion since he's such a great representative of the sport to casuals and hardcores alike.
I am a fan just thought it was funny he brought up Charles not showing up after getting finished like he did by Olives 🫒 Personally I’d rather watch him in another JustBleed match against Dusty, Eddie, Hooker, or idk maybe Jalin but I’ll definitely pay to see how he‘s able to adapt against Islam‘s style

- Countered T-Fergs jab and broke it down with overhands, left hooks and leg kicks

Sure Gaethje has been goaded into brawls and dought sloppy but his body of work is becoming hard to ignore as more than just a guy who's tough.
He’s definitely an all time great. I just think he should let his kicks and punches do the talking.

The Max fight is a rumor I never believed. Gaethje locked up a title shot after his last two wins. It was just a matter of when he was going to get it.
I only slightly believed it because I know Max is crazy enough to accept sir lol

I like watching Justin fight but for a dude who wears glasses he’s not exactly a deep thinker.
Nobody tunes in to Gaethje’s fights because of his philosophical abilities.
But to be fair, he’s a college graduate, high level wrestler and one of the best(most violent) mixed martial artists in history. What exactly are your achievements besides being able to type and jerkoff simultaneously?

Justin is 0-2 in his title shots (2 of his last 5 fights were failed titles shots) and he got MURDERED in both of them.

Poirier hasn't beaten a relevant lightweight in years and is basically immaterial in the title picture. That was not a reasonable title eliminator.

Why should Justin fight for the belt over and over again? Because he won two fights since his last shot? Does he fight for the title every third fight until he finally wins one?

Arman -vs- JG title eliminator. Islam would casually smash Justin who sucks at grappling, I don't really need to see a fight he didn't earn.

I don't see how Gaethje breaks Islam's defense. As you know, guys who are defensive and counter strikers, you can't really find them unless you have good shot selection and can put combinations together. Gaethje might have good striking IQ, but he doesn't work in combination that well, doesn't have much footwork and doesn't have the best shot selection.

Similarly to Khabib, I think Gaethjes kicks will be effective early and Islam will look to close the distance and force grappling exchanges even if the attempts fail early, Gaethje will tire out around mid way through the 2nd and get taken down. From there it's over.

justin has a punchers chance, islam has like 10 different ways to win.

after the fight people will say it was a stupig match up.

hope i am wrong but i dont think justin has anything for islam

Gaethje trying to join the 0-3 club with Colby, Chael, Kenflo, Faber, and Benevides. Fight would be a repeat of Khabib and Charles. He has no ground game and will be submitted.

Not sure what people are seeing in justin to think he can beat Islam the moment Khabib grabbed hold of him he looked like a complete bum because he had zero ground game. justin is all about stand up wars but khabib pressured him hard and he couldnt land any shoots under pressure.

He deserves he chance tho because charles wimped out of the rematch.

Gaethje vs. Islam is the way to go. Though that'll be Islam subbing him more likely. Still, Justin's been on a roll, quite impressively.

I don't see how Gaethje breaks Islam's defense. As you know, guys who are defensive and counter strikers, you can't really find them unless you have good shot selection and can put combinations together. Gaethje might have good striking IQ, but he doesn't work in combination that well, doesn't have much footwork and doesn't have the best shot selection.

Similarly to Khabib, I think Gaethjes kicks will be effective early and Islam will look to close the distance and force grappling exchanges even if the attempts fail early, Gaethje will tire out around mid way through the 2nd and get taken down. From there it's over.
I do agree with what you said but Islam is much the same so I do think whoever presses will be at a disadvantage since they're going to be closing distance against an elite counter striker without combinations or slick angles to hide their entries.
Islam also isn't as relentless as Khabib so I'm curious to see how he adjusts if his grappling isn't able to get past the TDD and scrambles of Gaethje and not having the iron chin to wade forward makes it risky.
I think Gaethje showed enough striking and TDD against Poirier, Chandler and Fiziev to prove he is now able to solve different style fighters so I'm very interested to see how he approaches this fight and even with his horrible BJJ I think he's a live dog here.

Charles doesn't even want to see the rematch. Someone else should get the opportunity.

Nobody tunes in to Gaethje’s fights because of his philosophical abilities.
But to be fair, he’s a college graduate, high level wrestler and one of the best(most violent) mixed martial artists in history. What exactly are your achievements besides being able to type and jerkoff simultaneously?
I actually do tune in to his fights to hear his thoughts on existence, freedom, good and evil etc. Unfortunately Joe Rogan only allows people to ponder on such topics while doing his podcast. Maybe one day but until then I guess I’ll just keep one hand on my iPad and the other on my JohnThomas as that’s what I’m best at 😃

I do agree with what you said but Islam is much the same so I do think whoever presses will be at a disadvantage since they're going to be closing distance against an elite counter striker without combinations or slick angles to hide their entries.
Islam also isn't as relentless as Khabib so I'm curious to see how he adjusts if his grappling isn't able to get past the TDD and scrambles of Gaethje and not having the iron chin to wade forward makes it risky.
I think Gaethje showed enough striking and TDD against Poirier, Chandler and Fiziev to prove he is now able to solve different style fighters so I'm very interested to see how he approaches this fight and even with his horrible BJJ I think he's a live dog here.

Chandler...didn't try to wrestle until he was already gassed and isn't a potent grappler, he just lays on guys. Poirier and Fiziev can't wrestle at all. I agree that Gaethje has looked as good as ever if not better than ever vs Fiziev and Poirier, I thought he looked like shit vs Chandler though. They both gassed inside 2 rounds and brawled like shit.

I agree, Islam isn't a relentless pressure fighter like Khabib, nor does he have the chin. But he's a tricky southpaw, if he sits back and forces Gaethje to commit first an entry into the clinch or counter strikers will be there. While the low kicks might be challenging, they may open Gaethje up to getting taken down if they're naked and at range, Islam is a very good kicker unlike Khabib. To be QUOTE frank, I think technically speaking Islam is just better....way better takedowns, better submissions, quicker, more technical standing. I just think Khabib is going to help Islam gameplan for Gaethje super well and guys like Amru and Usman are similar heights and slightly longer reaches than Justin, both great kickers and quicker strikers too...with phenomenal takedown defense. Islam is going to be ready, who's Gaethje going to prepare with for Islam?

Chandler...didn't try to wrestle until he was already gassed and isn't a potent grappler, he just lays on guys. Poirier and Fiziev can't wrestle at all. I agree that Gaethje has looked as good as ever if not better than ever vs Fiziev and Poirier, I thought he looked like shit vs Chandler though. They both gassed inside 2 rounds and brawled like shit.

I agree, Islam isn't a relentless pressure fighter like Khabib, nor does he have the chin. But he's a tricky southpaw, if he sits back and forces Gaethje to commit first an entry into the clinch or counter strikers will be there. While the low kicks might be challenging, they may open Gaethje up to getting taken down if they're naked and at range, Islam is a very good kicker unlike Khabib. To be QUOTE frank, I think technically speaking Islam is just better....way better takedowns, better submissions, quicker, more technical standing. I just think Khabib is going to help Islam gameplan for Gaethje super well and guys like Amru and Usman are similar heights and slightly longer reaches than Justin, both great kickers and quicker strikers too...with phenomenal takedown defense. Islam is going to be ready, who's Gaethje going to prepare with for Islam?
I'm not sure who's with Gaethje/Wittman but he's one of those coaches that knows how to gameplan and maximize his training camps with his fighters so guys like Usman may be faster and longer I don't think he's as skilled of a striker that could give Islam issues the Primus fight showed a lack of some skills still despite blinding speed imo.

Truth be told I can't argue with Islam being the clear favourite here. The striking can go either way but Islam does have very tight defence to possibly negate the jab and there's a massive advantage grappling that should come into play here at some point..... I just feel like a smart Gaethje is sneakily at this level besides his BJJ

JG has only had stylistic striker matchups until the title fights where he faces someone with actual ground games then gets submitted. Islam will be no different.

I'm not sure who's with Gaethje/Wittman but he's one of those coaches that knows how to gameplan and maximize his training camps with his fighters so guys like Usman may be faster and longer I don't think he's as skilled of a striker that could give Islam issues the Primus fight showed a lack of some skills still despite blinding speed imo.

Truth be told I can't argue with Islam being the clear favourite here. The striking can go either way but Islam does have very tight defence to possibly negate the jab and there's a massive advantage grappling that should come into play here at some point..... I just feel like a smart Gaethje is sneakily at this level besides his BJJ

Gaethje gave Khabib some real issues in the first round, I just think Islam will be way more difficult to find success against standing than Khabib was. I also just feel like Gaethje isn't the athlete up to the task, his age, his issues with conditioning, his bad habits. Islam is a machine man, bigger, stronger, arguably faster, more technical, more experienced, younger, better conditioned and trains with not one but two of the best gyms in the world. Gaethje also turned 35 last month. I feel like in 5-10 years the statistic on title fights being won or lost at 170lbs and lower above the age of 35 will he like 5 wins and 60 losses. Right now its 2 wins and 33 losses I believe.

We will see. I think Usman is very different but the dimensions are the same, ya know? Usman 5'11 72in reach, Gaethje 5'11 70in reach, both great kickers, both have great defensive wrestling and both are Lightweights. Amru similar in all these regards as well. Just like the prior camps for Islam, training with Movlid Khaybulaev for Volk was brilliant.

Back