Justified - where to start?

dickcheney

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
I'm sure there are threads on this show, but i cant search...

anyway, any recommendations on where to start with watching Justified?
from what ive gathered, things get great in season 2, so i definitely want to watch that from start to finish. Can the same be said about season 1? i remember watching the first two episodes when they debuted and thought they were only ok...is there a certain episode where things really come together in season 1 and the show is more serialized? or is season 1 completely episodic and i can just jump in anywhere?

any stand out season 1 episodes?

Justified is a show that's more than the sum of its parts.

The writing and acting (sans Boyde Crowder) aren't really great. No episodes have you on the edge of your seat, and you hardly ever pine to see what happens next.

With that being said, everything just works. I would best describe the show as "fun", and a great way to kill some free time. I blew through all the seasons in about 2 weeks.

Definitely stick with it. Timothy Olyphant's character is the ultimate bad ass.

Everyone was telling me to watch it, and like two years ago i loaded s1ep1 on my computer and i didnt even finish the episode. I gave it another shot about two weeks ago. I'm halfway through S2 and i really love the show.

Oliphant's character is really cool, i love the dialogue and exchanges, especially between him and boyd crowder.

He's a badass aswell, his ex-wife is a fucking fox.

Its just a fun show to watch, maximum entertaintment value.

I have no clue why you started this thread though, and why would anyone start from anywhere else than the beginning.

Everyone was telling me to watch it, and like two years ago i loaded s1ep1 on my computer and i didnt even finish the episode. I gave it another shot about two weeks ago. I'm halfway through S2 and i really love the show.

Oliphant's character is really cool, i love the dialogue and exchanges, especially between him and boyd crowder.

He's a badass aswell, his ex-wife is a fucking fox.

Its just a fun show to watch, maximum entertaintment value.

I have no clue why you started this thread though, and why would anyone start from anywhere else than the beginning.

i wasnt too stoked on episode 1 and i heard that it transitions at some point from a crime of the week episodic to a more serialized show...i'm trying to figure out where that transition happens and if i should bother sitting through 6 hours of crime of the weeks if they have no real bearing on the rest of the seasons

i wasnt too stoked on episode 1 and i heard that it transitions at some point from a crime of the week episodic to a more serialized show...i'm trying to figure out where that transition happens and if i should bother sitting through 6 hours of crime of the weeks if they have no real bearing on the rest of the seasons

The main character's nemesis is Boyd Crowder. Episode 1 deals with that and sets it up. The next 3 or 4 episodes are crime of the week episodes ala CSI, Criminal Minds, etc, BUT they still give Crowder some TV time and its actually really important because it shows the viewers how he changes in prison. After that, the remaining 7-8 episodes mostly deal with the crowder plot arc. And so far in S2, its more development of the arc. So basically you will have to sit throught 3 or 4 crime of the week episodes. I would recommend starting off from the beginning, those episodes you don't want to watch are actually pretty entertaining.

The main character's nemesis is Boyd Crowder. Episode 1 deals with that and sets it up. The next 3 or 4 episodes are crime of the week episodes ala CSI, Criminal Minds, etc. After that, the remaining 7-8 episodes mostly deal with the crowder plot arc. And so far in S2, its more development of the arc. So basically you will have to sit throught 3 or 4 crime of the week episodes. I would recommend starting off from the beginning, those episodes you don't want to watch are actually pretty entertaining.

thx, this was exactly the kind of breakdown i was looking for...since i've already watched the first one i'll just continue where i left off

Start at the beginning. I liked it being episodic, and despite the grwoing arcs, they still have episodes that while containing side stories dealing with the overriding story arc, also feature one episode main plots. I like it, as it sets the show apart from the typical "if you miss one episode it screws you up" type of shows which are oversaturating the airwaves now.

I started watching and really dug Season 1. Then stopped watching after about 5 episodes of season two. It just got to a point where I hated the characters in season two and couldn't watch anymore.

Next ones coming a little faster.....

I'm sure there are threads on this show, but i cant search...

anyway, any recommendations on where to start with watching Justified?
from what ive gathered, things get great in season 2, so i definitely want to watch that from start to finish. Can the same be said about season 1? i remember watching the first two episodes when they debuted and thought they were only ok...is there a certain episode where things really come together in season 1 and the show is more serialized? or is season 1 completely episodic and i can just jump in anywhere?

any stand out season 1 episodes?

Richard, you should start at the begining. Great fucking show

Next to Breaking Bad my next favorite show.

thx, this was exactly the kind of breakdown i was looking for...since i've already watched the first one i'll just continue where i left off

I started watching the show when it premiered and I was under the impression it was going to be a Law and Order type thing with stand alone episodes until I started seeing Boyd again in later episodes. After that it basically started coming together into a complete storyline series. All of the stand alones introduced recurring characters as well, iirc. Season 2 was the best so far imo. The family that play the villains were interesting. The mother played an outstanding part. Get caught up quick. Season 4 starts in a few weeks. I'm looking forward to it.

I started watching and really dug Season 1. Then stopped watching after about 5 episodes of season two. It just got to a point where I hated the characters in season two and couldn't watch anymore.

Really? I thought the Bennetts were the best season so far.

Givens, Boyd, Mags, Quarles, and Duffy.

I'll never forget those names.

I started watching this a few months back, great show.

Dewey Crowe is by far one of the funniest characters on TV.

Start with season 1. The relationship between Rayland and Boyd Crowder changes as the seasons have gone on. Season 2 was rediculously good.

welp, i blew through season 1...boy was i wrong for wanting to skip the crime of the week stuff. great show

While shows like Sons of Anarchy and Walking Dead get most of the hype, I think Justified is one of the best shows on TV, right up there with Breaking Bad.

Season 2 is fantastic.

Great show the other seasons are great but 2 ranks up there in the pantheon of great seasons of a TV show. To put it in layman terms season 2 was fanfuckingtastic.
Mags character was an awesome acting performance. I think she won some awards for that role.
Raylin is a badass.

The show pound for pound has great character actors who are allowed to shine for an episode or a couple episode arc.

They do have a bearing. Sure, the season 1 episodes tend to revolve around the US Marshalls dealing with a "case of the week" for about the first half of the season, but even there many of the cases have a bearing, either directly or indirectly, on the Givens/Crowder dynamic that is at the heart of the season.

I

Back