• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Movies JUSTICE LEAGUE: WAR (Dragonlord's Review)

Update: January 22, 2014

Dragonlord's Review of JUSTICE LEAGUE: WAR

2repdkH.png

After the terrific (and surprisingly violent) Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox, Warner Bros. Animation continues its hot streak with their lastest DC animated movie offering - Justice League: War. Based on the 2012 comic book Justice League: Origin by Geoff Johns & Jim Lee, Justice League: War introduces DC's The New 52 to the viewing public. The story revolves around seven superheroes who must band together to fight off Darkseid and his overwhelming Parademon army from invading Earth.

The plot is fairly thin and offers little to no surprise. Once the invasion starts, the action mostly consist of smashing/slicing/dicing the horde of Parademon invaders. The action is amazing and its choreographed well enough that it saves the film from being too repetitive and exhausting near the end. The violence is not as vicious as Flashpoint Paradox but still pretty brutal (most of it from Wonder Woman decapitating the Parademon). The animation and the character design are great, except for Superman, whose face looks too bloated, and Cyborg, which is understandable considering his situation.

One of the disappointing aspects of this adaptation is they replaced Aquaman with Shazam. Aquaman was already given some respectability with the Flashpoint Paradox, having him in this film would have solidified it. WB dropped the ball on this one. But the silver lining is fans will either get an Aquaman animated movie (this has been confirmed already) or Justice League: Throne of Atlantis next which will heavily feature the King of the Seas. Not too thrilled either with Shazam being the 7th member since his power set is similar to Superman's. Oh sure they've given him a Kamehameha wave but its enough to distinguish his powers from Big Blue.

Overall, Justice League: War is a terrific faithful adaptation to the source material and another great addition to the wonderful DC animated film collection. Action fans won't be disappointed. Watch out for the mid-credits scene which is a prelude to Throne of Atlantis.

Rating: 7/10

Last edited:
What was up with that shitty dubstep overpowering everything? That audio mix in that trailer was a mess. At least the animation looks to be quite good.

Update: October 29, 2013

JUSTICE LEAGUE: WAR Release Date and Cover Art Revealed

Warner Bros. Animation has released the first official box art and descriptions for the forthcoming DC Universe animated movie Justice League: War. The film is due on Blu-ray, On-Demand and DVD February 4th.

When the powerful Darkseid and his massive, relentless forces invade Earth, a group of previously unaligned super heroes

What was up with that shitty dubstep overpowering everything? That audio mix in that trailer was a mess. At least the animation looks to be quite good.

I heard rock music.

Anyways, looks pretty good.

Surprised Hal isn't on the cover of the movie. Seems odd. Can't wait until they hopefully adapt Throne of Atlantis into an animated film. Orm and Aquaman could use more exposure to get away from Aquaman's cheesy image.

Btw if they do make a justice league film, what story would yall want to see it based off?

I heard rock music.

Anyways, looks pretty good.

The first 25 seconds sounded like dubstep to me, but I guess the whole thing would qualify as some variety of electronic/epic rock/metal. But, regardless of the genre, the audio mix in that trailer was god awful.

Surprised Hal isn't on the cover of the movie. Seems odd. Can't wait until they hopefully adapt Throne of Atlantis into an animated film. Orm and Aquaman could use more exposure to get away from Aquaman's cheesy image.

Btw if they do make a justice league film, what story would yall want to see it based off?

I think Flashpoint Paradox might have helped Aquaman get away from that imagine. Especially when you consider who he went toe-to-toe with in that movie..

I think Flashpoint Paradox might have helped Aquaman get away from that imagine. Especially when you consider who he went toe-to-toe with in that movie..

yeah but this will have Aquaman in a more positive spotlight as well as spotlight some of his villains.

The Throne of Atlantis arc was pretty awesome. Seeing the duality Aquaman has to face between helping the J-League as well as protect his brother was cool to see.

Surprised Hal isn't on the cover of the movie. Seems odd.
Good catch.

Can't wait until they hopefully adapt Throne of Atlantis into an animated film. Orm and Aquaman could use more exposure to get away from Aquaman's cheesy image.
Unlike in Origin, Aquaman is noticeably absent here in War. But the good news is he is going to have his own animated film soon.

I really don't have a definitive one origin story for JLA, unlike with Avengers where my dream movie would be an adaptation of Mark Millar's The Ultimates 1 (#1 to #6) and the subsequent sequels would be from the 2nd half of The Ultimates 1 and the rest of The Ultimates 2.

I guess Justice League: Origin would work for me.

I'm not sure about and origin story for Justice League.

But I do know that I want to see a Tower of Babel storyline used some how.

Update: October 28, 2013

First Trailer for Latest DC Animated Film JUSTICE LEAGUE WAR

Justice-League-War-Wonder-Woman-1028-Dragonlord.jpg

Warner Bros. Animation has released the first trailer from their upcoming 2014 animated film, Justice League War. Based on Geoff Johns and Jim Lee's "Justice League Vol. 1: Origin" storyline, the film revolves around Batman and Green Lantern gathering a group of superheroes and form the Justice League to defend Earth from an alien invasion led by Darkseid. The film will also mark the first DC Comics New 52 story to be adapted into an animated film. Replaced by Shazam (formerly known as Captain Marvel) in the new roster, noticeably absent is Aquaman, who is reported to be getting his own DC animated movie soon.

Justice League War features the voices of Alan Tudyk as Superman, Jason O'Mara as Batman, Michelle Monaghan as Wonder Woman, Christopher Gorham as The Flash, Justin Kirk as Green Lantern, Sean Astin as Shazam, Shemar Moore as Cyborg, Travis Willingham as Shazam and Steve Blum as Darkseid. Justice League: War will be released in early 2014.

i dont like darksied voice..too high pitch

i dont like darksied voice..too high pitch

Steve Blum just doesn't do it for me as darkseid. Maybe the guy who voices the principal on American Dad would fit.

Oh and my knowledge of DC comics is pretty rudimentary outside of the New 52. I've only read J-League, and I'm on the Trinity War right now.

Update: December 30, 2013

New Images from Warner Bros. Animated Movie JUSTICE LEAGUE: WAR

jlwardarkseid.jpg

Justice%20League%20War%20Wonder%20Woman%20Shazaam%20Green%20Lantern.jpg

Justice%20League%20War%20Cyborg.jpg

Wonder%20Woman%20vs%20Parademon.jpg

Back