• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Just watched Wanderlei Silva vs Mark Hunt

Damn Wanderlei was big, nice submission defence by Mark there, and 18:35 damn.

Here are the highlights, gotta love it.

God damn Wanderlei ate some bombs to the chin from Hunt on top... No idea how he wasn't KO'd.

that "reckless" highlight was crazy. what a fucking murderer Wand was back in the day. why oh why do we have to get fucking old. Ate some Hunto bombs too! He won't take those anymore these days. One of those lands it's lights out.

Beautiful fight between two of my favorites. That atomic buttdrop should be enshrined in an Mma hall of fame.

Watching that fight live I remember thinking Wand got robbed. It was a virtually even fight but the judges were supposed to give extra points for such a weight differential and that should've been enough to give Wand the nod

I see people say this a lot, but if you read the Pride rules/scoring system then it's a lot clearer why Hunt was given the decision. Basically, attempting to finish>>> pretty much everything, and I think Hunt dropped him like 3 times which counted for much much more than the grappling control that Wanderlei had.

It's really not that crazy

Mark Hunt was 1-1 at that point, and had already lost to a MW -- a guy Wanderlei beat. The judges gave Wand heaps of extra credit for the weight disparity too.

I think that fight looks better now in hindsight.
Wand would have won if they gave him heaps of extra credit. It was a close fight.

that "reckless" highlight was crazy. what a fucking murderer Wand was back in the day. why oh why do we have to get fucking old. Ate some Hunto bombs too! He won't take those anymore these days. One of those lands it's lights out.
Im a big Wand fan, so i hope i dont get carded for this, but - he chose to burn out with a high peak. Those drugs age you, you can tell by all the 50-60 yr olds dropping dead hese days. But damn, did he reach some high heights.

Silva could not get the job done against Hunt. Even frickin' Manhoef did which says a lot about Silva.

You win the dumbest post of the thread. Here's is your award.

b_1_q_0_p_0.jpg

Wand would have won if they gave him heaps of extra credit. It was a close fight.
No, it was close because they gave him extra credit. And that was an official rule -- if it's close, the smaller guy wins. Smaller guy didn't win because it wasn't really close.

I mean, it was competitive. Wand had his moments -- he didn't get blown out or anything. But you'd have to be seriously defective at judging fights to say Wand won.

That fight proves how overrated K-1 striking is, that's for sure. Wandy was holding his own against Hunt in the standup aside from the knockdowns. Hell, even Page went to K-1 and knocked out Cyril.

But it was a good scrap though nonetheless.

Yeah, "aside from the knockdowns". Aside from getting almost knocked out in several moments with only his grappling advantage saving him. Aside from that.

Awesome fight, Wand was never the same after that.

Wanderlei also had juice seeping out of his pores so that probably helped.

Just for the record, this is one of the worst decisions Pride ever gave us, and that's saying something. It was kinda weird seeing Wanderlei get his LnP on, mind you.

The look on Hunt's face when he was awarded the fight was absolutely priceless.

Wanderlei Silva was literally one fight and 2 months removed from knocking out Rampage a second time, and fought super heavyweight kickboxing champion Mark Hunt. He had no reason to take the fight, but PRIDE had fighters who wanted to stay active and fight at every event, so you get guys who stick in people's brains like Wanderlei and Fedor. They don't make em like they used to.
Wanderlei is basically the Mike Tyson of MMA. Lost to some big names, but feared and awe-inspiring to anyone who spent any time watching him fight. Also, I'm pretty sure both of them wanted to fight a gorilla at one point in time, and would have if given the chance.

Wanderlei pulled me from casual fam status. Tito got me into mma. Wand made me love it. Feared no one. Today’s champions could learn a thing or two from 2000s Wanderlei.

Wand is legendary. It’s sad that some people forget or don’t know how great he was.

Isn't it crazy that this fight actually happened and that Wanderlei actually made it competitive?

What a crazy freakshow of a fight.

Edit: Video of the fight was removed.
Wand should have won.

Back