Just venting...

maDKient

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Started judo for the first time ever last night.

Nothing intense or rough, but more on what to expect from Judo, it's benefits, and some fundamentals. I really enjoyed it and the instructors were very nice, taught well, can't really fault the club one bit at all.

I paired up with a mate of mine (we also do kickboxing together) and a third dude (let's call him Hero) who was the odd one out. We invited him over to practice drills with us since we had no partner.

It started off well, everyone had fun. My mate and I just going through the motions thinking about the technique and etc so going at it pretty cruisy. Anyway Hero decides to let his inferiority complex take over and starts rough housing us on some hip throws (from the knees to practice falling).

We then started to do standing hip throws, falling through, control oppnonent on the ground and work a kimura (is that what i's called?). Now Hero decides to take it real serious, chucks us with brute strength as opposed to technique and starts yanking on our arms. We both told him to ease up and relax but homeboy doesn't listen. Instructor also tells him to relax but again Hero clearly doesn't listen.

As retirbution, I went through the drill with Hero, put him in the arm lock, pretended I didn't feel him tap. So put an extra bit of pressure just for giggles. My mate laughed, I pretended I didn't know what was happening and instructors didn't give a shit.

Should I be feeling bad?

So he let go of the subs when you tapped and you did not?

Yeah he let go, I let go too just after adding an extra squeeze on that one occassion.

You should always aknowlege the tap and let go of it.

You gonna need to get a thicker skin because you are going to train with a lot of guys that you might not get along.

Just keep training and learn to avoid the weirdos as much as you can.

Not that he knows or gives a shit about me, but that was about as polite as I've seen lechien be when he is not on board with your etiquette...you got off easy.

Aaaaahhhh this was a great ending they should make this into a book or even a movie. The grasshopper learning from his master....J/K

Yes I have to agree if he acknowledge the tap when you did then you should do the same. A student is a student which only learns. A instructor is and instructor which only teaches. The instructor will teach the student a lesson when he see fit but never should the student take on that role. Lol I got little Miyagi on this one...RIP!:icon_cry2

Not that he knows or gives a shit about me, but that was about as polite as I've seen lechien be when he is not on board with your etiquette...you got off easy.

yeah but lechien doesn't really rip on you and make fun of you like some of the other guys here do. he just says exactly what he thinks. i think he might be european.

yeah but lechien doesn't really rip on you and make fun of you like some of the other guys here do. he just says exactly what he thinks. i think he might be european.

I think there is some grey area to this...although I agree with the latter half of what you said, all of it.

I wouldn't feel bad, but wouldn't do it again either. You never know how much pressure it takes to hurt a person intil you actually do.

Last edited:
No, because you didnt put enough pressure to break his shoulder, just to teach him not to be a dick.

The writing style of this post is very similar to a formerly banned troll.

I think that you should maybe count to two after he taps if you don't like him but waiting for him to tap again can result in serious injury. I would suggest just refusing to work with him or making it harder by offering more resistance so brute force won't go well.

There are a lot of corrective measures that you can utilize with people like this.

Ignoring the tap can not be one of them. The tap must be sacred. Remember that we are training to break arms, destroy joint and render people unconscious. The only thing that makes training the way we do safe is that the other people can tap.

If tapping doesn't work, there is no trust and no foundation to really train the way we need to.

I had to put up with the exact same kinda guy for almost a month. The dude wouldnt let me escape at half pace and would launch me around all the time and never take it easy. The dude was clearly stronger than me and still is. After month my instructor finnaly let me free roll him and I subbed him five times in as many minutes using technique. Now he knows our instructor isnt the only one who can outwork him. Now he is sweet as. Just gotta be patient.

And I gotta agree about the tapping too. what happens if he decides to even it up oneday??

I think a quick talk about the benefit of not injuring your training partners would have been a better way to get your point across but to each his own. As long as you didn't injure him, you shouldn't feel bad... No harm, no foul.

I think that you should maybe count to two after he taps if you don't like him but waiting for him to tap again can result in serious injury. I would suggest just refusing to work with him or making it harder by offering more resistance so brute force won't go well.

Your first idea is horrible, flat out. You DON'T IGNORE THE TAP!! You don't hold it for a millisecond longer than your reflexes allow. One, you respect the tap, as others have said. Two, you're a horrible example for anyone else that might be learning, and will lead to more injuries in grappling, directly from you, and those around you. Grappling gets enough of these without your help. Last, what's to say he doesn't do that to you? What if he counts to four? Why would four be wrong, but two ok?

Your second idea is better. If someone is reckless, avoid them, and also notify the instructor. You might also tell him you have tight shoulders, go a bit easier.

Your third idea, resisting more, is kinda "blah". If you're drilling, you shouldn't be giving much resistance. If you have to, use some technique to highlight what he's doing wrong to make him do the right thing.

In the end, there are two things to highlight. First, respect the tap. It's a universal rule for a reason. Second, it's a combat sport. Some things are gonna be painful, or at least straining. Talk to your partners about any considerations you need, and if they can't do that, talk to your instructor.

Back