Just started training Muay Thai

Tri-StateTerror

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Just started training some Muay Thai, we havent sparred at all and we spend most classes just throwing combos at thai pads. This is how most people train muay thai or is this a watered -down cardio version of the art?

It might be because you just started? Cuz we didn't spar at all for like 3 months...

That sounds about right, keep it basic and simple when you first start.

Tri-StateTerror said:
Just started training some Muay Thai, we havent sparred at all and we spend most classes just throwing combos at thai pads. This is how most people train muay thai or is this a watered -down cardio version of the art?

best to ask some of the ppl who have been there for a while or even the instructor.

I just started this week myself and have been to two classes.

My instructor is stressing learning the basics, that it will be repetitive for a while, but once I have it down then the fun stuff begins and he said if you don't get the basics down correctly, the fun stuff isn't all that fun.

be patient and talk to the instructor.

As you have said, you just started Muay Thai. Learning the art, or learning to fight is not all about sparring.
First you have to learn how to throw punches, kicks and also learn how to grapple before you start sparring.

You didn't run before you learnt how to walk now, did you?

ronny thylin said:
It might be because you just started? Cuz we didn't spar at all for like 3 months...
Every Muay Thai place I know of doesn't let you start sparring until several months of training. You need to learn the techniques properly and get conditioned before you start progressing in sparring.

Took me 4 months of learning basic techniques..dont be in a hurry to get in a ring before its your time. Train hard..fight easy

Your instructor is trying to save your life.

Back