Just started Judo.....

FlyingKimora

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Ive only done 1 class of BJJ, but i have moved to judo because it combines both throws and Jiu-Jistu.

I have done 2 classes, my first class i could barely finish the warmup. 50 push ups, 50 sit ups = 50 kick ups was pretty extreme.

Started doing randori, but a guy pulled me aside and walked me up and down the mat showing me how to start the basics of a throw. I don't think i got it, because he kept on showing me.
I kept on sticking out a leg to trip them, when aparently im supposed to lift them and turn to the side. Very hard when the guys are much more experienced than me.

2nd class they taught me break falls, i ended up catching on towards the end. But now my body is sore as shit. But that won't worry me.

How long did it take you guys to learn throws?

There's not many whitebelts at my dojo, and the ones that are there are pretty experienced. Though everyone seems accepting of whitebelts so it's not too bad, but i think it's going to suck for a while if no-one wants to do randori with me, or they see me as an easy guy to throw.

but i think it's going to suck for a while if no-one wants to do randori with me, or they see me as an easy guy to throw.

you are easy to throw and you are not going to do randori for a while, gotta get breakfalling down before and have some throws sweeps you can do on a non resistin g opponent

If you can afford it, do both judo and BJJ ... neither one is complete at most clubs (yes, there are exceptions).

I know a handful of throws and have been practicing Judo for about 3 months. I still can't throw people at Judo very often, but I am able to catch a lot of people that just train Jiu Jitsu when we do takedowns. I also scored a few nice takedowns in tournaments since I started Judo. It takes a long time, just stick with it.

I agree with George with taking both if you can afford it, or finding a club that offers both. I totally think its worth it.

i started judo about 2 months ago and i know exactly how you feel

just hang in there, be attentive, i think most are happy to help the white belts

i had a class this morning and things are finally starting to come together, i still cant get throws off very well but everything is starting to make more sense

takes time, but the fact it takes time is what makes it so rewarding when you start to pull things off nicely

good luck mate

you are easy to throw and you are not going to do randori for a while, gotta get breakfalling down before and have some throws sweeps you can do on a non resistin g opponent

Concur.

You have to be to the point of where breakfalling comes as easy to you as breathing before you are going live with the higher-kyus. Good Judoka can hit a novice with a throw out of nowhere and you don't have time to think about proper ukemi as you're being hurled to the mat at a high rate of speed.

It took me about a month, or about 20 hours of training, before I could do Deashi well enough to use in randori.

If there are that many higher belts you are more likely to randori sooner since you won't have to know ukemi as well as if your opponents were all white belts. Sankyu and higher should all be throwing you into ukemi, especially if you are new and inexperienced.

In the beginning classes our white belts randori with sankyu and higher for their first few randori sessions. It's our job to keep them safe while teaching them movement, breathing, awareness, kuzushi, and all the really hard lessons to learn. -ken

heck with the noob kids I teach randori is jsut sumo-wrestling

randori black belts. they won't (read: shouldn't) be trying to just banzai you into the ground.

We always go easy on the new guys in randori (provided they're not being tools!).

Now that I think of it, its the other whitebelts, yellows and oranges who are most likley to pound a new guy.

Back