Just-Retired Father of Eight Gerald Harris Says He Never Enjoyed Fighting or Competition

ReadWrite

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
“I’ve Never Enjoyed Fighting Ever It’s a Great Way to Feed My Family”

“As soon as [Seth Baczynski] punched me in the face the last time, Gerald Harris told MMA Fighting on Tuesday, “I [thought], 'This sh*t ain’t for me no more!' Cause a lot of people don’t understand. I went 30-something fights, [but] I didn’t get hit a lot. In my career, I’ve probably been hit clean five times. I’m not joking. I pride myself on my defense and my wrestling. So I really made it a mission not to get hit.

“I’m getting older. I’m getting slower. And I realized in that moment that I did not want to be in there anymore. I got my win. I couldn’t end my career on a loss or a win over someone who wasn’t qualified to be in there against me. I felt good beating Baczynski; he’s a quality opponent. I made that decision in the third round.

“I [thought], 'I’m about to beat his ass and go to the UFC, Bellator. I’m about to make this big social media run.' While I was in there, I felt great. I went in with a broken nose already so my whole game plan was stick and move, stick and move. It wasn’t the most entertaining fight. I landed some good shots, got some good takedowns, but, I mean, anybody with common sense would know with a broken nose, you’re not going to stand there and trade with Seth Baczynski. He’s going to make you pay for it.

“In the third round, he threw a clean right hand and it caught me square in the face. It was the longest four minutes and 44 seconds of my life.

“In 2013, I was going through a divorce (I did not actually retire in 2013). I was fighting for custody of my kids. I felt like I had nothing. I was living in an apartment by myself with a cat. . . I was going through this divorce for two years and it was affecting my fighting and I retired to take a break. I shouldn’t have said retirement. When I fought Josh Burkman, my kids were getting taken away from me that same weekend.

“The last time I ended my career, I tore my Achilles’ tendon. That was two days before I flew out to The Ultimate Fighter 25. The year I tore my Achilles was pretty depressing. Imagine signing a UFC contract and then tearing your Achilles tendon the same day you sign your contract.

“I went to work out because I was so happy I signed with the UFC and I tore my damn Achilles. I should have sat my ass at home.

“I’ve never enjoyed fighting ever — it’s a great way to feed my family. I was self-employed. Wrestling was the only thing I did my entire life and it was the closest thing I could find to the competition, which I didn’t even like that a lot. I [thought], 'I’m good at it so I’m going to do it.'

“Here’s the deal — the money’s cool. It comes and goes. I didn’t make a lot this weekend and I’d be a fool to turn down a huge offer. But I don’t see myself fighting anymore. Can I fight? Yes. I could compete in Bellator, but I don’t see myself winning a title. I’m 40.

“These kids (fighters) are 19, 20, 21 years old, no kids. I’ve got eight kids. I’ve got a lot of responsibility. I’m not what I was 10 years ago. I’m just being honest. My fighting career’s over. Can I fight? Yes. Do I want to fight? No. I don’t want to fight anymore.”

https://www.mmafighting.com/2019/12/1/20985940/gerald-harris-describes-how-a-punch-in-third-round-of-his-most-recent-fight-led-to-his-retirement

Last edited:
father of 8

I can tell what you did enjoy bud

200.gif

Hope he can figure out something to do without fighting

Yea 40s kinda pushing it, oh well he can always go back to the other thing he does well... Making kids.

Honest. Nothing but respect. Gotta feed the fam.

not surprised

begs Dana for a fight

proceeds to just stand there

I bet he’s got an absolute hampton

He says fighting is a great way to feed the family... Does his family eat the peanuts he's paid in?

{<doc}

Father of 8? Cowboy Oliveria would be proud.

I’d be willing to bet there’s a lot of fighters that feel that way but would never admit it.

Wait, are we supposed to like going to work?

Sounds like something Rampage would say.

Btw... ~70% of people dislike their jobs. Why would any of you be surprised by his view?

He says fighting is a great way to feed the family... Does his family eat the peanuts he's paid in?

{<doc}

He had a run of making pretty decent money in 2009-2010. I wonder how much he got paid in Dream also.

Back