Just Not Built For It?

Guys and gals, your answers have been great. Thank you.

I am not the biggest guy, but I am fairly strong for my size and this is often commented on by my fellow practitioners during training. That being said, I think some of you have hit the nail on the head: I have been pulled up a few times for exerting to much force during rolling. The trainers have told me a few times to slow down and work through it, when I have powerfully pushed people off. I have been told to strop trying to muscle or maul my opponent. This is obviously a learning opportunity I need to listen to. I appreciate the answers as they have made me realise this is probably the case. Thank you.

...also, yes, I should stretch more.

I don't think it's strange. Most of the experienced BJJ guys like Rickson have had multiple surgeries for hernias even doing it 'perfectly'.

Although the potential for injuries is there with standing grappling Judo is probably the least dangerous as you usually throw the other guy while staying standing.
Wrestling throws have probably more chance to cause injury as often you suplex then land with body weight on the guy.

For BJJ, although less chance of standing injuries unless you do horrific things like jumping guard, the possibility of injury is higher overall IMO.
Spending most of the time having your limbs and joints continuously pulled and bent the wrong direction as you scramble and twisting and bending your spine loaded with weight on the ground is going to cause more injuries in the longtern.
Granted Bjj can fuck u up but JU Machado on Rogan says Rickson got messed up back from fighting vale tudo, street fights and mma . I’m inclined to believe Machado .JJ Machado still rolls daily and many old school guy can still train. Just gotta train smart .

Guys and gals, your answers have been great. Thank you.

I am not the biggest guy, but I am fairly strong for my size and this is often commented on by my fellow practitioners during training. That being said, I think some of you have hit the nail on the head: I have been pulled up a few times for exerting to much force during rolling. The trainers have told me a few times to slow down and work through it, when I have powerfully pushed people off. I have been told to strop trying to muscle or maul my opponent. This is obviously a learning opportunity I need to listen to. I appreciate the answers as they have made me realise this is probably the case. Thank you.

...also, yes, I should stretch more.
"trying to muscle or maul" gets us old dogs to...

The first couple of Randori after surgery and being sidelined for three years I'd get home and find blood pooling under my finger nails. I was gripping to hard and not moving enough just like way way back in my White Belt days.

Flow will come with practice. The mechanics and tactics work, it's learning them internalizing them and aspiring to execute them effortlessly. Maybe I'm a stupid daydreamer Samurai warrior, but I always try to maximize my cardio by minimizing my output to achieve my objective against my partners....because there's 6 more Samurai (Judoka)I have to defeat right after this one...

Seriously the more relaxed and the more skilled you are, the better your physical endurance will be.

....and don't forget to improve your flexibility!....

Back