Just learned DeLaRiva guard

Reaction score
So a couple days ago I learned DeLaRiva guard. I have to say, this is now one of my favorite positions because I'm pretty good at ankle locks and heel hooks and this is just sweet for setting them up. Once you get them down with this guard they're just right there for the heel hook or straight ankle or achilles. It's also good for MMA because we were doing open guard passing drills with strikes and I was able to get Delariva guard and get heel hooks on my training partner without eating any real powerful shots. For MMA you WILL eat some punches to pull the leg sweep off, but it can be done fast enough that you won't eat any heavy leather in the process.

i wish someone that trained at my place knew a lot about the de la riva

someone needs to post a good tutorial on here

you just learned it ?
you learned a portion of it my friend, it would takes years to actually learn it. there is so many positions and sweeps and reversals it is un real, i have been training for years and see new things in it all the time, it is forever evolving, but i am glad you ar eworking on it, it is a great way to control people

Its hard to master that guard variant. One drawback it has for no gi and MMA is that it leaves you vulnerable for ankle locks

I agree, it does leave yoiu volnerable to ankle locks. But as most positions are open to a hold you just have to practice it and become better at it.

Jiu-Jitsu is always evolving and so is our abilities if we practice new moves and get out of our comfort zones.

Cool man, watch out for the legbar to...;)

guardpasser said:
you just learned it ?
you learned a portion of it my friend, it would takes years to actually learn it. there is so many positions and sweeps and reversals it is un real, i have been training for years and see new things in it all the time, it is forever evolving, but i am glad you ar eworking on it, it is a great way to control people
The same could be said about almost any position.

leaves your face too exposed. on the street its not worth the trade off.
feel better and safer in full guard. sport jiujitsu will get you killed. ive seen sport jiujitsu guys try to use all that flashy shit in a real fight just to give up position and get pounded.

guardpasser said:
you just learned it ?

LoL. You know what I meant though. I find it really effective because I like leglocks. Yeah, it does kind of set you up for a figure four ankle lock on whichever leg you're planting on the hip, but that's why you've gotta do it fast. I'm not saying I would try to use it in MMA and definitely not in a street fight. In MMA I wouldn't use it because it'd be too easy to get TKOd from there, I might throw something from there at the end of a fight if I were losing badly on the score cards though. But I'm going to try out some submission wrestling tournaments over the summer and it would be really useful in grappling when you don't have to worry about strikes.

Good in gi grappling, I've not found it to be very useful in no gi because some of the leglocks people can get on you as you work for it.

if you know your leglocks well, its a good guard. i thought i had my shit down, but trained no gi with someone who completely shit on my de la riva guard by attacking my legs. im not that comfortable with it unless i have the sleeve to control.

yeah knee locks galore with that guard...

De La Riva guard is awesome. Really dynamic and tons of options. If done properly you can really give people a tough time. However, I do agree that I wouldn't feel comfortable using it if I did not have a sleeve to grab (this is really the only thing preventing them from leg locking you).

For a good De La Riva guard instructional, check out William Bittencourt's DVD series on the De La Riva guard. Goes through all of the concepts and the basic/intermediate moves from this guard.

SoulWound666 said:
LoL. You know what I meant though. I find it really effective because I like leglocks. .

just messin with you.
i like it because people go for the ankle locks and knee bars and i can defend them because i have strong legs and they never hurt...so..it sets me up to go for thier legs when they go for mine...then i win.

Back